Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS implementationon MCU with conductor, and layout operation

Arbenjamin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

We have added the MCU to conductor for resilience, but QoS design on MCU is configured on conductor or MCU?

Moreover, we would like to discuss on the MCU layout control. Based on the Conductor advanced template parameter - custom layout, it is a real time change? Since we are changing the layout from the MCU directly .

Best Regards,

Benjamin Lai

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you're using TMS with Conductor, you'd make all of your conference changes there, and not directly on the MCU.  While you can make the changes on the MCU, if using TMS just be careful because TMS might see the MCU as doing one thing while you're making changes manually.  With that said, you can make changes on the MCU, nothing wrong with that, we actually do it ourselves on some occasions when we need to, simply because of where we are at or what device we're using, since TMS isn't compatible with everything since it uses Java, ie a mobile device if that's what I might happen to have on hand instead of a laptop.

There is one issue that I know of with TMS and Conductor layouts (see but CSCuq62737) is that you can make layout changes on an individual endpoints basis and it works fine, however if you try and change layouts conference wide, it currently only works for new participants added to the conference.

As far as QoS, I'm not entirely sure, I think it would be considered data, because really the presentation is just another video channel.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can set QoS on the MCU, only signaling passes through the Conductor I believe, media will route between the MCU and endpoint, or the call control server.

The advanced parameters will only be considered when a conference is created, after the conference is created, the only way Conductor will change the layouts or manipulate the conference is by using TMS.  Or you go into the MCU yourself, and change the layouts manually.

Dear Patrick,

Thanks for your kindly reply.

Based on our understanding, the conductor response on conference creation. Is it recommended to make the video call from the MCU in this case? 

Do you know QoS of presentation packet is classified as video or data ?

Again, I am appreciated on your kindly reply.

Best Regards,

Benjamin 

If you're using TMS with Conductor, you'd make all of your conference changes there, and not directly on the MCU.  While you can make the changes on the MCU, if using TMS just be careful because TMS might see the MCU as doing one thing while you're making changes manually.  With that said, you can make changes on the MCU, nothing wrong with that, we actually do it ourselves on some occasions when we need to, simply because of where we are at or what device we're using, since TMS isn't compatible with everything since it uses Java, ie a mobile device if that's what I might happen to have on hand instead of a laptop.

There is one issue that I know of with TMS and Conductor layouts (see but CSCuq62737) is that you can make layout changes on an individual endpoints basis and it works fine, however if you try and change layouts conference wide, it currently only works for new participants added to the conference.

As far as QoS, I'm not entirely sure, I think it would be considered data, because really the presentation is just another video channel.