Tandbger Gatekeeper

Justin Pascal
Level 1
Level 1

Topology:

MXP 1700 --> Tandberg GK (No VCS) --> Internet 1.1.1.1 GW

My EP dials 1000@1.1.1.1 but Im getting calledpartynotregistered in Log

EP registered to TAA GK.

I enabled URI dialing. 1.1.1.1 is public wont register to my GK.

I dont have any SBC. How can I fix this?

I want to send 1000@1.1.1.1

to 1.1.1.1

Can i do it?

I already tried enabling URI and DNS.

"To enable or disable URI dialing using the web interface, navigate to Gatekeeper Configuration > Gatekeeper and tick or clear the Allow DNS resolution checkbox"

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all I assume you substituted the real ip with 1.1.1.1, if not, are you sure that this is the correct ip?

Are your GK and the 1700 on pulbic ip adresses without nat or a firewall blocking any signalling and media traffic?

If not you might have a problem there as well. In general for external communications a BK (or now VCS-E) would be more suitable.

What is the setting of:

Gatekeeper Configuration -> Gatekeeper and in the Configuration section, from the Calls to unknown IP addresses

If you do not have a BK and you are on public ip addresses I would set it to: direct

And in your scenario I would set call routed to: on

There might be other things like cpl, search rules, ... which you might want to investigate if they are correct.

A good source for information is always the documentation, in your case:

http://www.tandberg.com/collateral/documentation/User_Manuals/TANDBERG%20Border%20Controller%20User%20Manual%20%28Q6%29.pdf

And dont forget to check with the remote site that everything is correct there :-)

Please give a feedback and vote if this answer helped you.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Robert Krenn
Level 1
Level 1

I think you need to tell us a little bit more  about your systems:

1. Your MXP1700 and your GK, are they on public IP addresses or on private adresses? Is there a Fierewall involved?

2. What is at 1.1.1.1?   Can that unit acceept URI calls or is it just a stand alone endpoint? Why do you need to call 1000@1.1.1.1?  Can't you just dial the IP address directly?

(To allow Direct IP calls when using only a TANDBERG GK you should set:  "CALLS TO UNKNOWN IP ADDRESSES" to DIRECT. )

//Robert

Martin and Robert, thanks for replying.

To answer your questions:

Yes, I substitute my real IP address with 1.1.1.1 for security purposes.

No FW in this topology,

When I dial from MXP 1700 by IP address

1.1.1.1 call connects fine.

What the remote system has in place is an IVR which asks for meeting ID and password, so Im trying to bypass the IVR by sending:

1000#1234@1.1.1.1 where 1000 is meeting id and 1234 is the passcode.

1.1.1.1 do accept URIs. I have this similar deployment up and running in our lab in a VCS -> VCS-E environment, (Using DNS Zone) but this particular customer has only a TAA GK.

So im trying to emulate that with this GK and no VCS-E nor SBC.

Current settings:

Calls to unknown IP addresses is set to Direct

DNS configured

Will check on the routed mode as I havent played with it.

As you see basically we want to figure out the way to configure the GK to get the URI

1000#1234@1.1.1.1 and pass it intact as it comes from MXP towards the remote host

I will get more info tomorrow morning and update.

Thanks guys!

Justin,

URI dialing and IVR DTMF isn't the same and can not, by default, be done as you want it to.  It's all up to the receiving system to handle the incomming call and process the dialstring.

You must first know what that system (1.1.1.1) is and how it works, then maybe some of what you want to do can be achieved.

If the 1.1.1.1 system is configured and have the possibility to receive a URI call, then you could dial straigt into the ID you want to by dialing the URI, but I doubt that you can add the code like you suggest. Anyhow, for any of this to work, you must talk to the ones managing the 1.1.1.1 system.

//Robert

Hi Robert

I understand the concept clearly and know how 1.1.1.1 works, as mentioned i already have a system configured with VCS and VCS-E using DNS zones.

My question here is:

Can the TAA GK process URI dialing in this scenario:

MXP 1700 --> TAA GK -- 1.1.1.1

MXP sends

1000#1234@1.1.1.1

or

1000@1.1.1.1

Now it only works using IP!

Between TAA GK and 1.1.1.1 there is no FW nor SBC and we do NAT.

I tried changing the parameter route on and same error.

calledpartynotregistered in Log

To be clear:

When MXP sends number@1.1.1.1 can the GK process this URI request and re-route it without modification to remote host?

At least the GK does not handle it as a uri, rather then an IP with a e164 number.

I am not sure about the # part. It is also highly dependent on how the IVR system

processes it.

I think on h.320 you had this TCS-4 functionality, so I could imagine that this also might

exist on h.323 to do some mapping of additional information.

Like Robert saiys, it will be highly dependent on how the remote gw. works.

You could also check with the remote site if its possible to add DNS entries with  A and SRV records,

so you can dial a domain instead of the ip.

So check with the remote site how it shall look like, do network traces to see how it actually looks like

and then fix the issue :-)

As the 1700MXP is on a public ip, can you dial up the IVR when you are calling in direct rather then

gatekeeper mode?

I am not 100% sure if I have to interpret it. Did you say it works with a vcs? if so, just get a VCS,

which will give you much more options and tools to debug why something is failing!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

thanks Martin,

Yes we have 2 scenarios:

When dialing URI: 1000@1.1.1.1:

LAB: MXP --> VCS-C -- VCS-E --- 1.1.1.1 WORKS

PRODUCTION: MXP --> TAA GK -- 1.1.1.1 FAILS

When dialing IP only 1.1.1.1:

LAB: MXP --> VCS-C -- VCS-E --- 1.1.1.1 WORKS

PRODUCTION: MXP --> TAA GK -- 1.1.1.1 WORKS

In lab both dialing by IP and URI works, but we have a ZONE type DNS in VCS-E which is clear it does the DNS resolution.

In the GK I dont see an option to define a a DNS zone.

In 1.1.1.1 we have the DNS for both h323 and sip registered, with our VCS/VCS-E it works fine as well.

we dialed in our lab 10000@mydomain.vc and works fine.

in the 1.1.1.1 when we send the MEETING#PASSCODE@1.1.1.1 it process it succesfully as code there understands this combination.

Will try to dial 10000@mydomain.vc from my MXP and see what is the result.

Thanks!

I see,

When you are using a wireshark trace, try to see if you are connecting using h323ls or h323cs when it works? If they connect using 1719 udp or 1720 tcp?

- Dialing a URI from a MXP1700 directly, not using a GK or VCS should initial connect on 1720tcp

- A VCS, if I recall correctly, tries first 1719udp and if that fail, revert to 1720tcp

- A GK however will most likely only use 1719udp when doing URI calls.

Question is, as Martin wrote, if the GK will use 1719udp when dialing e164@IPADDRESS or if it set it up as a direct IP call with a E164 number "extention" using 1720tcp

I had alot of problems with this a few years ago trying to get TANDBERG Gatekeepers to dial into Polycom VBPs.

//Robert