cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Analytics Extension

Anthony Chan
Level 1
Level 1

Any feedback on this if they have installed on their system?

Thanks

Anthony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jens Didriksen wrote:

(...) It is Excel based, so a thourough understanding of Excel is a must (...)

Hi Jens,

Just a small correction: I wouldn't say that it is Excel based, as you can use all clients that are able to connect to an OLAP cube. You should look at the Analytics Extension more as a toolbox or an enabler you can build your own applications on top of, not as an out of the box (Excel based) reporting solution. We did include some Excel sample reports and instructions on how to connect from Excel, but that is mostly to get people started and so that they can verify that the Analytics Extension was successfully installed. IMHO, you don't see the real power of the Analytics Extension until you integrate it with other Business Intelligence tools.

@Anthony: Just note that the Analytics Extension relies heavily on the VCS - if you don't have a VCS centric deployment (for example if you use the Cisco Unified CM or legacy gatekeepers), you won't get much joy of the AE.

My favorite AE use case: finding underutilized video systems and demanding that the !users give them back to me — if you don't use your MX200, I'm sure someone else wants it!

-Kjetil

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

We've been using it for a while; it is extremely powerful and you can drill way down to get a lot of stats.

It is Excel based, so a thourough understanding of Excel is a must, and it takes a while to configure it to suit individual requirements as it has a lot - and I mean a lot, of options.

We're just scratching the surface of what it can do, but we'll revisit it once the dust has settled with all the other stuff happening here; new installations, hardware upgrades etc etc.

If you don't want to bury yourself in this then Vyopta has an option where they do this for you and give you the data you want without all the headaches - at a price.

http://www.vyopta.com/products/vanalytic.html

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Jens Didriksen wrote:

(...) It is Excel based, so a thourough understanding of Excel is a must (...)

Hi Jens,

Just a small correction: I wouldn't say that it is Excel based, as you can use all clients that are able to connect to an OLAP cube. You should look at the Analytics Extension more as a toolbox or an enabler you can build your own applications on top of, not as an out of the box (Excel based) reporting solution. We did include some Excel sample reports and instructions on how to connect from Excel, but that is mostly to get people started and so that they can verify that the Analytics Extension was successfully installed. IMHO, you don't see the real power of the Analytics Extension until you integrate it with other Business Intelligence tools.

@Anthony: Just note that the Analytics Extension relies heavily on the VCS - if you don't have a VCS centric deployment (for example if you use the Cisco Unified CM or legacy gatekeepers), you won't get much joy of the AE.

My favorite AE use case: finding underutilized video systems and demanding that the !users give them back to me — if you don't use your MX200, I'm sure someone else wants it!

-Kjetil

Thanks Kjetil,

Learnt something new - again

We've only used it with Excel up until now, but what you're saying opens up a raft of possibilities.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Hi...

My Analytics Extension is connected to the SQL Warehouse and successfully logging ETL jobs.  I'm not able to locate instructions on how to extract the data to create a report in Excel.  My only options are to download Sample files.  Can someone point me to a CCO document that describes how to download the data using Excel?  According to my VCS logs it's generating user/endpoint traffic.

Thank you

John

Hi,

Se the TMSAE 1.1 install guide, pages 14-19: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tmsae/install_guide/Cisco_TMSAE_Install_Guide_1-1.pdf

Regards,
Kjetil

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Kjetil,

I downloaded the All Sample Files and accepted the Security Message.  When I open the "FactCall" and select "Data" my next options are Connections, Properties however no "Import" option.  I'm using Windows 7.  Your help is appreciated.

Thank you

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: