Helpful
Replies

TMS update check does not occur automatically

LuLe
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Community,

I have the following "problem":

We use now TMS 15.0.1 - before we had an older 14 Version. I have the following problem:

Normally in TMS under Systems > Navigator - if I go on my single endpoints in the list it Shows me automatically if there is an Software update needed, or if the contract is running out and so on. Now with the new TMS Version 15.0.1 all my endpoints show under service contract > Status > unknown. If I go on "Check for Updates" it takes some time and then it Shows me for example "new Software Version" and also the state of the Service contract. But after a while I click on the same endpoint and it Shows me again "unknown". So now all my endpoints don´t show me automatically if there is a new Software Version or if the contract runs out. With my old TMS version 14 this worked fine. Do you have any ideas if this is a known bug or if I have to change some settings?

Under Administrative Tools > Configuration > Network Settings > Automatic Software Update is the following set:

Automatically Check for Updates: Yes

Service URL: https://tms-update.cisco.com/webservices/product/v1.0/Software/SoftwareService_ES

Web Proxy Address: here is our Proxy set

Also do you think it helps if I update to Version 15.1.0 which was released mit of December?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Luise

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Try going to Administrative Tools > Configuration > Network Settings and turn the "Automatically Check for Updates" to Yes and click the Save button.

If it's already set to Yes, toggle it to No first (and Save), then back to Yes (and Save) again.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

vivekksi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luise,

I believe we have to troubleshoot further to isolate the issue. 

As per the error message it seems that when TMS is trying to access https://tms-update.cisco.com/webservices/product/v1.0/Software/SoftwareService_ES, it fail to connect and get operation time out, error snippet for reference:

As per your initial comment I understand that when you go to specific endpoint and click on "Check for Updates", it shows fine. If you not tested give a try and check if you are getting contract and software status fine. If so then it sounds more like a proxy issue to me.

TMS services uses windows default logon username to reach public destination which generally blocked by proxy; however if it contain valid username from AD or local account it work fine. So when you manually click on "Check for update" in that case TMS will use your username to send request to Cisco server which will be processed by proxy server fine.

To isolate the issue can you RDP to TMS server and open services MMC and then change logon for TMSSchedulerservice to one of your AD account or local account and restart service and check if issue resolve or not.

Thanks,

Vivek

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

Can't see this listed as a known bug on Cisco Bug Search site.

I bypassed 15.01 and went straight to 15.1 and I do not have the problem you describe. whether or not 15.1 will fix your problem I do not know, check out the release notes for 15.1 and the open/resolved issues in that release to see if you want to upgrade or not.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Dear Jens,

thank you very much for your Feedback. I will do the update to 15.1 this week and will give response whether it fixed my problem or not. I also didn´t found something in the release notes or in the open/resolved issues.

Best regards,

Luise

We've seen issues with TMS15.0.1 and TMS15.1.0 with Automatic Update checking.

These issues are being investigated by the TAC who are currently working on similar issues for other clients as well.  (Our SR is 636694539).

When you go to Administrative Tools > Activity Status, then find the "Check for Software Updates" task, are you seeing connection issues in the log for that job?

We often see many failures along the lines of:

13/01/2016 4:18:27 PM Event executed by VM-CAATMS02
13/01/2016 4:18:27 PM Software update check started. Connecting to the update service.
13/01/2016 4:22:31 PM Update check failed. Please see system logs for details. Note that TMS must have internet access to contact the software update service.
13/01/2016 4:22:31 PM The event failed to complete. Details: Update check failed. Please see system logs for details. Note that TMS must have internet access to contact the software update service.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Dear Wayne,

thank you for the Feedback. I checked the Activity Status - but there is no Task for "check for Software updates"... - maybe this is the issue? How can I add this Task to the list?
Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Luise

Try going to Administrative Tools > Configuration > Network Settings and turn the "Automatically Check for Updates" to Yes and click the Save button.

If it's already set to Yes, toggle it to No first (and Save), then back to Yes (and Save) again.

Wayne
--

Wayne

Oh wow - really that easy? :) Now I see the update check and it did the update. I will check this in the next days if this fixed my Problem and then I will Close this post. Thank you very much!

One hopefully last question: is there a Chance to edit the Recurrence of the Task?

Best regards,
Luise

The update check should start within 3-5 minutes of enabling the feature, and will run every 2 days at the timestamp you set the automatic update check to Yes. 

Thx Patrick for the answer. Every 2 days is fine.

Now today I updated from 15.0.1 to TMS 15.1 - everything seems to be fine - except: Update check ... what is really annoying :( 

Now no update is working anymore:

TMS Version 15.1.0
2016-01-23 15:56:08,294 [Event5] ERROR Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.UpgradeCheckEventHandler -
System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.SoftwareUpgradeWebService.getLatestSoftware(Software& software, String& message)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.SystemUpgradeService.GetLatestSoftware(Software software, SoftwareUpgradeWebService webService)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.SystemUpgradeService.CheckForNewTMSAndMoviClientVersions(SoftwareUpgradeWebService webService)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.SystemUpgradeService.CheckForSystemUpdates(CommunicationSecurityLevel securityLevel, IList`1 tmsSystems)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.UpgradeCheckEventHandler.Start(BackgroundEventBase bgEvent)
2016-01-23 15:56:08,606 [Event5] ERROR Tandberg.TMS.Service.BackgroundEvent.BackgroundEventObject -
System.Exception: Update check failed. Please see system logs for details. Note that TMS must have internet access to contact the software update service.
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.UpgradeCheckEventHandler.Start(BackgroundEventBase bgEvent)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.BackgroundEvent.BackgroundEventObject.BackgroundEventProc()

The web-log.txt shows the following:

TMS Version 15.1.0 (IIS APPPOOL\TMSNet40AppPool)
2016-01-23 15:59:11,986 [8] ERROR ASP.tandberg_tms_ui_systemnavigator_systemportal_ascx -
System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.SoftwareUpgradeWebService.getLatestSoftware(Software& software, String& message)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.SystemUpgradeService.GetLatestSoftware(Software software, SoftwareUpgradeWebService webService)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.SystemUpgradeService.CheckForNewTMSAndMoviClientVersions(SoftwareUpgradeWebService webService)
at Tandberg.TMS.Service.SystemUpgrade.SystemUpgradeService.CheckForSystemUpdates(CommunicationSecurityLevel securityLevel, IList`1 tmsSystems)
at Tandberg.TMS.UI.SystemNavigator.SystemPortal.btnCheckForUpdatesButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Any advice?

Best regards,
Luise

vivekksi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luise,

I believe we have to troubleshoot further to isolate the issue. 

As per the error message it seems that when TMS is trying to access https://tms-update.cisco.com/webservices/product/v1.0/Software/SoftwareService_ES, it fail to connect and get operation time out, error snippet for reference:

As per your initial comment I understand that when you go to specific endpoint and click on "Check for Updates", it shows fine. If you not tested give a try and check if you are getting contract and software status fine. If so then it sounds more like a proxy issue to me.

TMS services uses windows default logon username to reach public destination which generally blocked by proxy; however if it contain valid username from AD or local account it work fine. So when you manually click on "Check for update" in that case TMS will use your username to send request to Cisco server which will be processed by proxy server fine.

To isolate the issue can you RDP to TMS server and open services MMC and then change logon for TMSSchedulerservice to one of your AD account or local account and restart service and check if issue resolve or not.

Thanks,

Vivek

Dear Vivek,

thank you very much for the hint. With changing the Service to my AD account it works now. The normal manually update check on a single endpoint and also the update check every 2nd day.

Thank you so much for your help @all!
Best regards,

Luise