Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

URI Dialing Problems

I've started at a new job and have been asked to support our video conferencing gear, I have limited expereince with v/c kit, however I have many years expereince with networking & unix, so please go gentle.

I have a Tandberg C20 & C60, which are both on public ip's, I do not have a VCS or a gateway of any sort. I can dial directly to any IP and they can dial me back directly. However I cannot dial any numbers that require a URI style string (name@ipaddress).  The call just fast fails with no reason given.

I have a TMS setup that can see both units, I can also login to the web interface, tsh & command line as root on both units.  I've googled just about as much as I can but cannot figure what the problem may be. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what log file or config setting I should be looking at, that would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Bancroft wrote:

I have been testing from the C60 which has software version TC4.1.0.247017

And there is your problem....

You cannot use URI dialling with software versions prior to TC4.2 unless the system is registered with a Gatekeeper.

Cisco only introduced full support for H.323 Annex O in TC4.2 - so you'll need to upgrade your system.

As it is, you can only do IP address dialling.

If you don't have a service contract in place, then you will still be able to upgrade the unit as per the below security advise:

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20130619-tpc

Contact TAC to obtain release key etc.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Stephen,

Are the URI's you're trying to dial H.323 endpoints, or SIP endpoints?

Have you got whichever protocole you're trying to use configured on your endpoint?

Have you tried changing the call type from H.323 (default) to SIP when dialling, or changing the default call type?

Can you please provide some more details on your endpoints - ie, which version of the software are they running?

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Can you dial name@domain? And do you have a valid DNS server?

Thanks for the quick responses, I will take these in order.

We are using H.323 only. SIP is disabled.

*c xConfiguration NetworkServices H323 Mode: On

*c xConfiguration NetworkServices SIP Mode: Off

*c xConfiguration H323 NAT Mode: Off

*c xConfiguration H323 NAT Address: ""

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 H323Alias ID: "c60.phm.gov.au"

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 H323Alias E164: ""

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 PortAllocation: Dynamic

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 CallSetup Mode: Direct

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 Gatekeeper Address: ""

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 Gatekeeper Discovery: Auto

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 Authentication LoginName: ""

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 Authentication Password: ""

*c xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 Authentication Mode: Off

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 URI: ""

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 DefaultTransport: Auto

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 TlsVerify: Off

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Type: Standard

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Outbound: Off

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Proxy 1 Discovery: Manual

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Proxy 1 Address: "Click to edit..."

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Proxy 2 Discovery: Manual

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Proxy 2 Address: ""

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Proxy 3 Discovery: Manual

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Proxy 3 Address: ""

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Proxy 4 Discovery: Manual

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Proxy 4 Address: ""

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Authentication 1 LoginName: ""

*c xConfiguration SIP Profile 1 Authentication 1 Password: ""

As far as I am aware there should be no further confguration required for H.323, please advise if I am incorrect.

I am not using a domain name in the dial string, just the raw IP, So DNS should not be a factor.

I have been able to use tcpdump from the terminal and I can see packets when I make a call straight to an IP but when I use the URI string I see nothing, no attempt to make a call.

I should also mention that there is no firewall blocking in place. We have the IP's for these units in a policy that allows ALL on egress and ingress.

Stephen Bancroft wrote:

And there is your problem....

You cannot use URI dialling with software versions prior to TC4.2 unless the system is registered with a Gatekeeper.

Cisco only introduced full support for H.323 Annex O in TC4.2 - so you'll need to upgrade your system.

As it is, you can only do IP address dialling.

If you don't have a service contract in place, then you will still be able to upgrade the unit as per the below security advise:

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20130619-tpc

Contact TAC to obtain release key etc.

/jens

+5 to Jens' answer.  Youll need a newer version of firmware than TC4.1, and the security advisory is a good way to get a "free" upgrade if you haven't got a service contract.  This doesn't guarantee any furture upgrades will be available to you though, so a service contract is always a good idea if you want to keep your device up to date.

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Yep old firmware was the problem. I was able to login to the TAC and get TC5.1.8 and I can stop pulling my hair out now, URI dialing works !

Cheers......

Great to hear you've got it working now Stephen.  If possible, I'd suggest you contact the TAC again about that security advisory, as bug CSCuf89557 isn't fixed in the TC5.1.x software and was first fixed in TC6.1.  Getting this will get you up to the latest release chain too (TC6.x) with the current relase being TC6.3.

Wayne

--

Wayne

Off topic, but we have potentially a load of C series units on old software (mainly schools who simply cannot afford the maintenance) both versions TC4.x or TC5.x (I think all the TC3 have been upgraded, but we lack visibity of a lot of these units). Am I correct in assuming that a unit on TC4.x or TC5.x can be upgraded to TC 6.1 becasue of CSCuf89557 ?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, you should be able to get an upgrade to TC6.1 or later for any of your TC or TE software based devices - see the Cisco Security Advisory Jens mentioned above.  This contains a number of bugs in addition to the one I mentioned.

Wayne

--

Wayne

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

Yes, I believe so, but you need to provide TAC with the serial number of each unit.

/jens
Please rate replies and mark questions " answered " if applicable.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App