cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Expressway - changing route

blive56133
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have VCS Expressway X8.1.1 that sends some of the calls through specific tunnel (and not over the internet which is a default). For these calls route is upc_FW_Traversal -> Zone001ToTraversalSZ -> TraversalSubZone -> Zone006ToTraversalSZ -> TUNNEL.

For everyone else route looks like upc_FW_Traversal -> Zone001ToTraversalSZ -> TraversalSubZone -> Zone002ToTraversalSZ -> DNSZone

If I want the calls not to go through TUNNEL but to go to DNSZone can I just disable H323 and SIP on TUNNEL Zone and disable Search rules connected to this (also if I do it, do I need to restart Expressway?)

Or I have to delete that route through CLI with "xcommand routedelete routeid:xy", restart expressway and then delete zone and search rule through web?

7 Replies 7

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You won't need to restart the Expressway if you disable a search rule or even disable a traversal zone, the changes will take affect immediately.  Instead of disabling the traversal zone, simple disabling the search rules that route to the tunnel is enough to prevent calls from going to that destination, since without a search rule being present there will not be a way to route the call to the destination.

I forgot to mention that we also have static route configured through CLI for this tunnel

Does the procedure change in this case (delete that route through CLI with "xcommand routedelete routeid:xy", restart expressway, disable H323/SIP in zone section and change Target Zone).

Don't believe a restart is required, changes should take place as soon as you issue the command.  The admin guide doesn't state you have to perform a restart with that command.

Thanks!

On a side note, when you upgrade to the newer versions of VCS/Expressway (X8.5+) code you can manage your static routes from the GUI.

Modified for correctness.

Hi. 

I did the change and I had to do restart after deleting static route (you get alarm saying you need to restart). After that  you have to disable rules via web and only then the change becomes active.

Just did that yesterday

You are correct.

When I tested with VCS X8.5 and deleted the route through the CLI, it did not warn me that a restart was required in the alarms section (could just be on my lab system). However, when checking the "real" routing table through root, the route was not actually removed until after the restart.

Thanks for posting the update.