cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC3-4FXS analog phone detection

garyjadams
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to have voice-ports detect if there is a phone connected on a port or not.

Right now, i don't have a phone connected on a port and it shows the following:

0/1/3  up dorm on-hook idle

Since i have a dial-peer configured to go to this port and if i call it, it rings.

Is there anyway to have the router detect there is nothing connected to it and not ring and instead give a busy tone?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Udit Mehrotra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Since, Analog circuits FXO/FXS are just a pair of copper wire and the operation involves looping the wire when a call is placed, there is no way the router can know if a phone is connected to FXS port or not.

Think of it as this. Even though a phone is connected and there is no call the circuit loop is still open. This is as good as nothing connected. When there is a call if a device can loop the circuit the port goes in off hook state. If there is no device connected and a call is placed, port then detects a power-denial as the circuit is unable to loop and the call fails.

Short answer, there is Currently no way to determine if a device is connected to a FXS port.

-=-

Udit

Thanks for that explination Udit,

Forgive me, i'm not too familiar with voice networking and configuration.

What in your opinion would be the best way to get around the router trying to ring a port even if there isn't anything connected? just shutdown the unused ports? Also i have a huntgroup configured to ring any of the four ports, could it be possible that the router make pick one of the ports where nothing is connected for a received call?

Thanks!

Its best to shut down the ports that are not being used.

When you say you have a hunt group, does it mean you have a trunk group to route calls to multiple ports on a single dial-peer?

-=-

Udit