cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Control AV equipment with Touch 10

nrunge1
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently controlling multiple inputs to our SX80 codecs with some Extron AV equipment that has a wall plate with push button controls. 

Almost every user of these rooms complains about having to interface with both the Touch 10 and the AV controls.

I'm guessing the answer is no considering the Touch 10 plugs directly into the codec however was just curious if anyone has been able to take the Touch 10 and customize it to control other AV components to have a single point of administration. 

Or on the flip side are there third party options that can control the SX80?

34 Replies 34

You could contact Crestron for a list of certified programmers in your area, they probably won't know if they have any experience with Cisco Touch 10 integration.

I am doing exactly what you are wanting to do EXCEPT it is all serial control.

A lot depends on what shade, lighting and TV tuner you are using. In my case the lighting is Lutron and the shades are connected to the Lutron system. I am using the SZI command to send an intensity value of 1 or 0 to put them up or down. We are interfacing via a Grafik Eye rs232 interface.

For TV we are using a Contemporary Research Tuner and using the partner module for it.

If your shade, lighting and tuner have Crestron Partner modules it actually becomes real easy to implement something like that. You just that the Xstatus feedback from the CODEC and use it to trigger the correct inputs on the modules. Take the feedback from the modules and use it to send commands back to your CODEC to manipulate the status of the buttons etc.

But a lot depends on what equipment you are using and if there has been any development for those devices or if your programmer has to go from scratch.

You could also check the Crestron Programmer Yahoo group, a lot of the members post custom modules for devices on there.

Believe me, they are quite open to new partners. Just contact them at crestron.eu.

Besides the integration towards Cisco, which is pretty easy due to the ready made module, the Crestron guy should also have some knowledge regarding the things to be controlled like lights or blinds and such. More often than not this part is not only a simple contact closure but interfacing to building managment networks like KNX or so...

Long story short: The art of Crestron programming is less about logic programming but being able to understand many trades.

But IT IS FUN, so go ahead. I am pretty sure, there are not too many guys in your region.

HST Consulting - raising the bar

Hi Robert,

Did you successfully get the Touch10 in room controls working reliably with AMX.

We have done it with Crestron but not AMX and wondered if you could send over any sample AMX code you have.

Thanks

James

jeremiah88
Level 4
Level 4

I have been trying to figure out how to do this exact thing, and according to the Project Workplace website, this should be something that can be done today, but I have not been able to find and true documentation on how exactly this is accomplished.  Check out this link though, it shows a Touch 10 being used to control a room controller that handles lighting, climate control, blinds, etc.  They even show a diagram where the codec somehow connects to the room controller (ie a crestron or extron) and how you can uses "Editor Software" to create/customize the layout on the Touch 10.  I have been unable to find any other resource which speaks to how this is accomplished.   Anyone else know?

It's not something that is available today, but will be coming in a future software update of the CE8 software. 

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.