cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Proxy

btrain2871
Level 1
Level 1

I have a mix of h.323 endpoints..  mostly cisco and lifesize that are registered with a VCS.  These are scattered throughout the globe and we are trying to collaborate with external services for some calls.  We've allowed the private IP's of the endpoints access via the local firewalls.  What is happening is any call made to an external IP address is using the VCS IP as the source and routing out via its local Internet and not the location of the endpoint.  Is there a way to bypass the VCS from it being the source of this traffic?  I did try un-registering an endpoint, which did work, but I do need the endpoints registered to the VCS for several other types of calls.  

2 Replies 2

Anurag Srivastava
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

So VCS is in the call path because your endpoint does not has the direct connection with external endpoint. So for NAT traversal VCS will always be there in media path.

You can do one thing, most of Cisco endpoint support both SIP and H323.
So you can register the endpoints on VCS with SIP and for H323 mode you can do Direct call (not using VCS as a gatekeeper).

For that you need to open certain ports on firewall and NAT on local firewall for that endpoint. And when ever it will dial an external IP using H323 call will not route to VCS and it will directly work with external endpoints.

Please see the below link for port requirements-

https://community.cisco.com/t5/telepresence-and-video/ports-to-be-opened-for-sx10-need-support/td-p/3764775

Thanks

Please rate if it is helpful...

I have messed with this at a base level and it seems to work.  Have to completely re-do all my search rules to account for SIP, but it has worked so far.