Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Sip Trunk - disable video codecs

Darren Lapierre
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

I have ran into an odd situation and I am hoping someone here might be able to help.

Is there a way on the VCS to turn off specific protocols on the neighbor zone? ie, when a call is passed to the neighbor zone, no video codecs will be allowed, only audio?

On a client network, I am trunking from the VCSC to a Mitel 3300 ICS. I have built the trunk (neighbor zone) and calls are able to be sent across it.

The issue is that the only calls that work are when I specifically set the call to be as a 'telephone' call on the specific endpoint. Only then will the call go through as an audio only call. otherwise, it seems the call is being setup as a full video/audio call.

I have scoured through the admin guide. I have found some stuff relevant, but it only seems to be based on how an empty INVITE are not allowed.

D.

3 Replies 3

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Darren,

I do believe that's possible. If you have created a Neighbor zone in the VCS which points out to the SIP trunk, it would automatically have Links added on the Links page.

Once you reach there, I believe you can add pipes to the calls which are going from any zone to the Neighbor zone. If you would like to have only an audio call go through, then you can limit the bandwidth to be only 64kbps. At this bandwidth, only audio call will proceed.

Please try it out and share the results.

Thanks

Mubashshir Akhtar
TelePresence Solution Group

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi. Using the pipes and links for the zone did force calls at 64kbps.  But it did not strip the video request in the SDP.

For successful audio only calls we found we either had to:

1) Specify the call from the endpoint as audio only.

2) Turn off SIP on the endpoints and force calls as H323 and use interworking on the VCS to force the call to SIP sans the video codec request.

3) Use Contact management.

All of these were ugly methods.  The user just wants to dial a number.  For SIP only endpoints like the SX10s, it can present a challenge.

There has to be a way to strip the video codec request from the SDP or send an empty invite to the receiving Telco side.

On the CIsco VCS in x8.2.2 you can set the properties SIP SDP attribute line limit mode and 

FYI.