cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A BE6K system deployment without ISR

Alex9
Level 1
Level 1

We bought a BE6K system (CUCM+CUC) to replace the existing PBX. But there is no ISR router in the purchased list.

The existing PBX has a SIP trunk to the carrier. 

I understand In Cisco preferred network architecture, ISR is required. 

My question is: 

1-If there is no ISR, can I make the system working? 

2-Can the CUCM terminate the SIP from the carrier? 

3-No ISR means no DSP, transcoding is not supported. Since it is a single site network, can I just set all the call codes as G711? In this case no DSP/transcoding will be required? 

5-There is conference call requirement. Since there is no DSP, can we just use software media resource for it? 

4-There is no TMD connection for the network, so voice termination is not required. Is it correct?

Thanks for your attention.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

>> In theory yes, you can create SIP trunk directly to ITSP from CUCM, but there is not recommended for many reasons, google benefits of Cisco CUBE.

>> See above

3-No ISR means no DSP, transcoding is not supported. Since it is a single site network, can I just set all the call codes as G711? In this case no DSP/transcoding will be required? 

>> Yes, however you are not guaranteed all of your calls will arrive as G711 over the SIP trunk as carriers might send you calls with different codec, since you only have CUCM and CUC you should technically not need transcoders as CUC and phones can negotiate other codecs.

5-There is conference call requirement. Since there is no DSP, can we just use software media resource for it? 

>> Yes, you can use CUCM conferencing, it's limited to G711 only, but that should fit into your design for the most part. There may be an occasion where a G729 calls arrives to you for example and conferencing it would fail.

4-There is no TMD connection for the network, so voice termination is not required. Is it correct?

>> Correct, still consider getting CUBE router for #1 and #2

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

>> In theory yes, you can create SIP trunk directly to ITSP from CUCM, but there is not recommended for many reasons, google benefits of Cisco CUBE.

>> See above

>> Yes, however you are not guaranteed all of your calls will arrive as G711 over the SIP trunk as carriers might send you calls with different codec, since you only have CUCM and CUC you should technically not need transcoders as CUC and phones can negotiate other codecs.

>> Yes, you can use CUCM conferencing, it's limited to G711 only, but that should fit into your design for the most part. There may be an occasion where a G729 calls arrives to you for example and conferencing it would fail.

>> Correct, still consider getting CUBE router for #1 and #2

We configure SIP-trunk  directly to CUCM on BE6000.
But it might depend on trunk provider

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: