cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Option for Always Forwarding to an Outside Line?

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

CUCM: 10.5.2

We have an employee who is always out of the office traveling and we are in need of a method to get him an extension so he can get those calls to his cell phone. He will not need a physical phone for this, so I had a few thoughts and wanted to see what would be the best option.

My first thought was to create a CTI Route Point to send calls to a new extension created for him, then just have that line CFwdAll to his cell phone. Or, maybe I could create a translation pattern for calls/transfers to the new extension/pattern, and have the Called Party Transformation change the extension to his cell phone number, or something along those lines...?

Do you think the CTI Route Point is the best way to achieve this?

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Matt,

Create a CTI route point, assign an extension to the route point and call forward all to the external number. Make sure the CFA CSS is able to reach the external number. You can either make the extension of the route point match the dialed digits coming into the system or create a translation pattern to translate inbound calls to the extension assigned to the route point.

Brandon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Matt,

Create a CTI route point, assign an extension to the route point and call forward all to the external number. Make sure the CFA CSS is able to reach the external number. You can either make the extension of the route point match the dialed digits coming into the system or create a translation pattern to translate inbound calls to the extension assigned to the route point.

Brandon

Hey Brandon, thanks for the reply!

Ok, cool, that's exactly what I did. I created the CTI Route point, then I created an extension for it. Then within that extension I set the Call Forward All to his cell phone. I used my cell for testing and it seems to work just fine.

Thanks again for the confirmation, much appreciated!

-Matt

Hey Brandon, one more question.

For the Call Forward All option under the Directory Number settings. Should that forwarded call use what I set as the "External Phone Number Mask" under the line settings for that DN?

If so, could you tell me what call logs (*RTMT, Trace, or CDR  logs) might show what is being used/set as the External Phone Number Mask on that transferred call? Because when the call was forwarded to my cell, it did not use what I had set as the external mask... And on our CUBE I have a translation pattern setup to allow this specific phone number pattern to be sent outbound as the CID

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

It depends. The caller ID can be manipulated in multiple places - external phone number mask, route pattern, route list, translation patterns, translation rules on the gateway, etc. Is the number you are sending out a number on your PRI/SIP trunk? Some carriers will only allow you to send out numbers that you own. Any other number will get overwritten with the billing telephone number. Other carriers allow you to send any number you want. Theoretically, the caller ID in this scenario would be the original calling party's number. However, this gets blocked by the carrier many times since it is not a number you own.

Brandon

Hmm, ok. The caller-id being set to the original calling party number makes sense based off my tests. Because if I call his DID line from my DID line, my DID Caller-ID shows up as the calling party (*CID) because that is one of our numbers that we own, so its being let through.

So this is the scenario. They wanted this person to be able to tell if the call is comfing from someone internally or if the call was a customer. So I created the CTI Route Point and assigned it a DN as previously discussed. Then I was told about distinguishing between customer and internal caller, so I added a DID line to the CTI Route Point as well. The DID number I assigned to CTI RP is a number that we do own. So I shouldn't have a problem using it if I can figure out how.

So what I would like to do now, is to have any incoming call to that DID line, which then gets forwarded to his cell number, to show up on his cell as if it were coming from the DID number... Does that make sense and is that possible?

*EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that these calls do go in/out our SIP Trunk (*2911). I did come across this post here, where they said this setting is on the Gateway to change the "Calling Party Selection" option from originator to "Last Redirected Number (External)". But, I'm worried doing this would mess-up the Caller-ID in some cases, where for example the Receptionist forwards a call to a DN, but only the Receptionist DN would display instead of the  person who is trying to reach the caller. So if it turned into a missed call, the employee would just think that the receptionist tried to call them and not the person who actually called. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: