Views
Helpful
Replies

Calls from Virgin Islands

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

HI Everyone

I have an office in the Virgin Islands and they want to be moved to our CUCM cluster. I'm going to forward the current 340 numbers to my 817 because I can't port the Virgin Island numbers.But the end users told me that when they make outgoing calls they don't want to charged for long distance because of the forward in place from the 340 to the 817. They wanted to now is there a way to have the outgoing calls go over their pots lines in the Virgin Island instead of back across th Cube in Dallas.Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to your replies.

Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely, just add the local voice gateway to the CUCM and create proper configuration to integrate with CUCM, then on CUCM build proper CSS, partitions, device pool, route patterns, route list, route group for this site routing calls initiated from those devices to local GW.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely, just add the local voice gateway to the CUCM and create proper configuration to integrate with CUCM, then on CUCM build proper CSS, partitions, device pool, route patterns, route list, route group for this site routing calls initiated from those devices to local GW.

Thanks for the reply Chris, but that's the issue this site doesn't have a gateway so what I was thinking about doing is purchasing a CME box and installing that at the site and then have them connect back to us through a SIP trunk.

Eric

I don't follow the logic, if you want those phones to utilize centralized trunking for PSTN calls then you don't need any gateways/CMEs at the remote sites as phones can simply register directly to central CUCM, no need for CME to establish connectivity between the phones and CUCM. If you need local calls at the site then you will NEED local trunk and thus local gateway. CME by itself and no PSTN connection buys you nothing.

That was my initial thought because we have a centralized call processing model. But when I explained how it works to the manager onsite he said that since I can't actually port the number and I'll be putting a forward on the 340 number the telco provider in the VI will change a long distance fee on the numbers that are forwarded. So the only option I see is to have a local box there onsite and have the call originate there.

OK, if you need local numbers and masking caller ID is not an option, then the solution is not to deploy CME as CME by itself does not provide access to PSTN, you need to deploy PSTN trunks such as SIP trunk, PRI or POTS lines which will need to be ordered with local telco company.  Then you will either need a voice gateway with proper PRI or FXO ports or gateway with CUBE licensing for SIP connection if that is the direction.  You configure the gateway with desired voip protocol, i.e. SIP/H323/MGCP and add it to centralized CUCM config allowing Virgin Island users dial out via this GW/CUBE.

They currently have an Avaya IP Office system in place and I was just going to use the lines that they currently have for the cisco gateway.

Sure, but those lines need to available to Cisco CUCM, so you'd either need to move them over to Cisco Gateway as Avaya GW cannot talk to CUCM, or you integrate CUCM with Avaya PBX and route calls to/from Cisco phones at this location over the integration.  

Correct

I'm completely removing the Avaya system and I'm going to move what they have over to the Cisco gateway.

Thanks a lot Chris for helping me out with this, and I'm actually working on getting the correct hardware today from my Curvature rep. 

OK, that's a good plan.  make sure you identify what trunks are connected to the Avaya so that you can get proper cards in your cisco GW, also don't forget to make sure you have PVDMs in your gateway.