Views
Helpful
Replies

CER transition from conventional to redsky intrado

Keith Abbott
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

We are in the process of switching from our established conventional ERLs in CER, to Redsky using Intrado.
(Redsky will be via SIP trunk rather than PSTN)

I have a couple of 'safety valve' questions before I break something in a regrettable way.

First - Id like to verify that creating an intrado route pattern will not break my conventional ERLs - can anyone verify that for me?

Second - Im trying to figure out a way I can 'pre-populate' our existing ERLs into redsky (presumably using the migration tool) while keeping our conventional ERLs active. Id guess I have to create a duplicate ERL with different ELIN - and migrate that? any other ideas?

Thirdly - how can I set up the call manager side so I can test calls to redsky - while maintaining conventional ERLs for everyone but the testers - I presume I could configure a separate Emergency CSS (Emerg-Redsky ie) - but a 911 call will still route to CER and get treated - and still come back to CM as normal 911 that routes to the carrier rather than redsky.
Any Ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide
W

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

1. Creating an Intrado route pattern alone in CER does not impact anything.

2. Check out link below for Conventional ERL to Intrado ERL migration
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/10_0_1/english/administration/guide/CER0_BK_CA66317A_00_cisco-emergency-responder-administration-10_0/CER0_BK_CA66317A_00_cisco-emergency-responder-administration-10_0_chapter_0101.pdf

3. You do not need a separate CSS to test Redsky in your scenario. Here is what you need to do.
In CER, create an Intrado Route Pattern, let's say 1111.911. Next, create an Intrado ERL and select 1111.911 for route pattern under the drop down list then enter your ELIN in the ELIN field. Next, I suggest you assign a test phone or a few test phones manually to this ERL for testing. You could also use the switchport method but do not use the subnet method as that could affect production phones. After that, create a route pattern in your CUCM that matches the intrado route pattern (in our example, it would be 1111.911) and point it to your Redsky SIP Trunk. Before you place any test calls, make sure you ask Redsky to place your setup in test mode on their side.
Finally, you can dial 911 from your test phone. The dialed digits will match the same 911 pattern as any other phone in your cluster and route the call to CER. In CER, since this phone is manually configured under an Intrado ERL, the called number get xlated to 1111.911 and the calling number gets xlated to the ELIN you configured for that ERL. The call goes back to CUCM and match the Redsky Route Pattern 1111.911. The call gets routed to Redsky test environment. Once the call is connected, you should hear an automated recording announcing your calling number and the address associated with that number.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

1. Creating an Intrado route pattern alone in CER does not impact anything.

2. Check out link below for Conventional ERL to Intrado ERL migration
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/10_0_1/english/administration/guide/CER0_BK_CA66317A_00_cisco-emergency-responder-administration-10_0/CER0_BK_CA66317A_00_cisco-emergency-responder-administration-10_0_chapter_0101.pdf

3. You do not need a separate CSS to test Redsky in your scenario. Here is what you need to do.
In CER, create an Intrado Route Pattern, let's say 1111.911. Next, create an Intrado ERL and select 1111.911 for route pattern under the drop down list then enter your ELIN in the ELIN field. Next, I suggest you assign a test phone or a few test phones manually to this ERL for testing. You could also use the switchport method but do not use the subnet method as that could affect production phones. After that, create a route pattern in your CUCM that matches the intrado route pattern (in our example, it would be 1111.911) and point it to your Redsky SIP Trunk. Before you place any test calls, make sure you ask Redsky to place your setup in test mode on their side.
Finally, you can dial 911 from your test phone. The dialed digits will match the same 911 pattern as any other phone in your cluster and route the call to CER. In CER, since this phone is manually configured under an Intrado ERL, the called number get xlated to 1111.911 and the calling number gets xlated to the ELIN you configured for that ERL. The call goes back to CUCM and match the Redsky Route Pattern 1111.911. The call gets routed to Redsky test environment. Once the call is connected, you should hear an automated recording announcing your calling number and the address associated with that number.

Excellent answer - thanks! I will try that out.
In the meantime, I was actually browsing the document you linked, prior to seeing your reply. One question: In the diagram shown (Figure 1), it shows a path for 'call signaling' I interpret that as call control - is it the same path for RTP traffic?

thanks

w

Q1: Yes. Call Signaling and Call Control are the same thing.

Q2: No. You RTP flow will be as below.
Calling device --> CUBE (SIP Gateway) --> Redsky SBC --> PSAP