cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9900 IP Phone Feature Questions:

tammmill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So I'm looking at the Data sheets for the 9900 series phones and wonder if you can answer a couple questions for me.

1) Looks like the phone can connect wirelessly instead of wired which is kind of cool, If you have the phone connected wirelessly, can you still use the PC port on the phone to connect a PC (i.e. use the phone to connect a PC that does not have a wireless NIC)?

2) Are there any limitations to the USB Headsets or should it work with "any" USB headset?

3) Am i correct in reading this is a SIP only phone and that it does not do SCCP Support?

4) Power is listed as 802.3af and 802.3at support.  Are there any limitations when using 802.3af instead of 802.3at? I am guessing the USB ports may require the Class 4 PoE?

5) It looks like these are just supported on Communications Manager 7.1(3) or later.  I assume they will work in SRST as well? if so what IOS version / SRST version would be required to support these phones (or does it matter?)

136 Replies 136

Yes it does. Do you know when the Tethered Cord (CP-CKEM-CORD=) will be available to order.  Thanks

UPDATE: Tethered cord for the IP Color Key Expansion Module (IP Color KEM) is not available for order at this time. It was removed from the ordering guide with the February 2010 publication being released now. The cord remains a planned delivery item, but a specific timeline is not available yet per the BU.

Do note that the SKU's for the IP Color KEM's come with a "KEM Connector" that is used to connect the IP Color KEM's to each other and to the 8961, 9951 or 9971 endpoints. The tethered cord would be intended to address arrangements where spacing is needed either between the KEM's and the phone or between KEM's themselves.

regards,

Kirk McNeill

Collaboration Solutions Marketing

Message was edited by: Kirk McNeill

Hi Kevin,

We have a customer asking about that cable.   What's the length of the tethered cord part (CP-CKEM-CORD=) ?

Thanks,

Rob Rodgers

Cisco Systems

Global Partner Help Line 

sorry for my question, but, what is this cable? I did not understand,

Hello Mauricio,

The IP Color Key Expansion Module for IP Phones 8900 and 9900 Series includes as part of the SKU a KEM connector which supports connections between the IP Phone and the KEM and between KEM's themselves. In certain circumstances, customers would prefer to locate the KEM's elsewhere (not adjacent to the IP Phone). This tethered cord is designed to address those requirements but was inadvertently put in the October 2009 Ordering Guide. It has not yet been productized per the endpoints team - however, it remains the intent to ultimately deliver the cord. I do not have a timeline for its delivery from the BU at this point.

As to Rob's question prior to yours regarding its intended length, am checking with PM on this and will advise.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

Hello Rob,

Plan per BU would be a 1m length upon its delivery. Timeline remains under formulation per the IPCBU endpoints PM team.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

Thanks Kirk,

I appeciate looking in to that for me.

Regards,

Rob Rodgers

Cisco Systems

Global Partner Help

Sorry to jump on this thread but this topic is near and dear to my heart, two questions for you:

When will the cameras be in distribution? And what was the reasoning behind introducing a video phone when you cannot get the cameras for an extended period of time (customer question)

Thanks,

Bob James

Hello Bob,

The Cisco Unified Video Camera remains targeted for FCS March 26th and would require a fimrware update to the phone 9.0(2) for video support.

The Cisco Unified IP Phone 9900 Series is a multimedia collaborative platform so it also delivers support for high quality audio performance and data applications integration (XML/MIDlets). Attributes include: higher resolution color displays (VGA quality), Wi-Fi (9971 only) for increased ROI leveraging customer's wireless networks, USB integration (wired USB headsets initially), High-definition voice and other ergonomic and green design enhancements that enhance user experience and advance customer investment. Thus, while video is indeed a notable and proud addition to this portfolio, there are other benefits to be had with the 9900 Series solution that customers could take advantage of immediately upon first customer shipment (FCS). Given video support is adoption of the Cisco Unified Video Camera (for encoding/decoding) and a phone firmware update, the decision was made to release the phones to market upon their FCS declaration.

Thanks,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

Hi

i have CUCM 7.0.x I know the update to support this phones 9900 is for 7.1.3(b) so the question is

in te future the version 7.0.x it will support 9900 phones

if so when ?

thanks

Hello,

There are no plans to  bring support to prior releases from today's minimum of 7.1 (3) that supports the 8900 and 9900 Series on Communications Manager and Business Edition.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

Hi,

I was wondering when it would be possible to obtain bèta code to connect this phone with a uc500?

We already have some phones and would like to get them working asap to give some demos to our clients.

Best regards,

Tim Mens

Network Engineer

Tyneso N.V.

Tim,

The 9900 Series is not supported on the UC-500 series servers at this time and the BU does not have a roadmap for their support in contacting them. Thus, beta code is not available.

As noted in an earlier response in this discussion thread, small business customers where CME with ISR is applicable could take advantage of the 9900 Series later this year as plans are to support by late summer with CME Release 8.1.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

Hello Kirk.

Thank you for those precious informations.

About video on 9971, the firmware 9.0(2) is now out. I installed it on my 9971, but no "video capabilities" option is available on the phone configuration page or entreprise option.

I have the latest CUCM 7.1.3.

I manually modified the CNF.XML file by adding the <videoCapabilities>1</videoCapabilities> tags. Now the phone is able to receive CUVA video feed.

Do you know why isn't it implemented into the phone configuration page? Do I need a special upgrade?

Thank you

Hi,

Yes, a new CUCM devicepack is required for the video capabilities to appear on the 9900 series device page. We are targeting 04/08/2010 for this devicepack to post on Cisco.com for both CUCM 7.1.3 and CUCM 8.0.

Regards,

David