Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Call manager migration

kkupenov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello All,

my company recently acquired a call manager 9.1 with the appropriate new  hardware .We have an  existing one that is going out of life cycle with version 6.1.5 . I need your advice , how is the best way to migrate from 6.1.5 to 9.1 if there is a way at all .I do not want to update the 6.1.5 , i want to migrate all the data to the new machine with 9.1 .I have  search all over the internet  for such topic but i can not find one.

Your help is much appreciated

Thank you in advance 

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

There is an export/import function on CUCM that you can use to map some data accross - this is under the Bulk Administration menu.

You can then use the 'export all details' function under Bulk Admin for phones, users and UDPs to export the data to CSV. There are differences in the format of the files between CUCM 6 and 8, e.g. some fields are deprecated or added, or renamed and therefore need to be manipulated before you can import it. You have to be careful to not scramble the file contents (e.g. if you use Excel it will just break the data). I use some custom tools and scripts to manipulate the data and apply other changes as required (e.g. changes to templates, CSSs and so on) on my deployments.

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BAT import/export functionality should let you get a lot of date migrated, since you are moving between version you will need to adjust the import files after taking an export.  You can search these forums for import/export BAT features to get more detailed responses as this has been asked few times before.

HTH,

Chris

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Kamen

This has been covered many times in this forum - however to give you a few pointers:

• You cannot automatically migrate a 6.x CUCM config to one of a different version. You can only migrate exactly the same version between different hardware platforms.
  • The "normal" mechanism to upgrade from 6.x to 9.x would be to either upgrade your existing server to 9.x, backup using DRS and restore onto the new hardware, or, install 6.x on your new hardware, backup / restore and then upgrade to 9.x
  • It is quite possible that your new hardware will not run the latest version - in which case, you can sometimes upgrade to an interim release first - e.g upgrade your current version to 7.1(5), install 7.1(5) on your new hardware and do the backup / restore. Then upgrade your new hardware to 9.x.
  • If none of the above is possible, then you can use BAT to export out most of your current config, and then import into the new server. Note that BAT will not export everything (e.g. route patterns) and some things must be done manually. There also used to be issued in using BAT to export some security related parameters (e.g. PINs) and export them into a higher version. Note that this is a VERY time consuming process.

Hope this helps.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions