Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CME softphone support

hanzlluk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

we have some ISR Voice routers and we want to configure CME on them. And I googled and find that only CICP and some old version of Jabber (both are EOL) are supported. Is it true? Do we really need to use EOL softphone for CME? Is there any other option please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You answered your question yourself.
CIPC is EoL and Jabber on CME is also EoL. So, there is no softphone option anymore. Only the phones supported according to the compatibility doc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

b.winter
VIP
VIP

If the CME version doesn't support newer Jabber version, then what other option should there be?
If you have such an old ISR with an old IOS, then you probably should think about replacing the router and / or upgrade the IOS.

Well upgrade to new IOS is not a problem. Problem is that even current version of IOS with the newest CME have only support for CICP (viz Unified CME 14.1 Supported Firmware, Platforms, Memory, and Voice Products - Cisco). And CIPC is EOL.

And according this link Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express System Administrator Guide - Modify Cisco Unified IP Phone Options [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco  there is "Cisco Jabber client versions supported on Unified CME are now End-of-Life (EOL). Hence, there is no active support on Unified CME for Cisco Jabber clients."

It looks like Cisco is counting with CME on their voice routers but want us to only use hard phones. Since CICP is EOL and they don't provide any replacement in CME. Or is there any other softphone? Or maybe official emulator? 

You answered your question yourself.
CIPC is EoL and Jabber on CME is also EoL. So, there is no softphone option anymore. Only the phones supported according to the compatibility doc.

that is sad but thanks for confirmation

You may be able to add a custom template in CME and use CIPC (model it on older 7970 phones).  I have done this in my lab.

Maren