Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DRS Backup Scheduler for CUCM

Hi ,

We are looking for Scheduled backup which will be automated daily,weekly and monthly to the common NAS storage and specified retention period for each backup's.

I understand that we can specify the no.of backup to be stored in backup device ,but can you please answer the query ?

If I want to add three scheduled backup's(Daily/weekly/monthly) to the same backup device ,how can i identify the respective backup's (whether it's weekly or monthly or daily). Is it possible to create the different path for each device for respective backup's.Please advice whether there is any other method to approach this backup solution.

Or 

Do I need have seperate SFTP server for each scheduled backup.

Regards,

Ramanathan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

That's actually false, I just tried it, I use freeFTPD for my lab, and CUCM 11 had no problem at all using the same server (I already have regular backups configured for all my lab) as another backup target, just using a different directory. I'm even using the same user.

At least CUCM will have no problem if you use the same server, you'd have to try this with your SFTP, but I don't think you'll have any problem.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

From the application perspective, it really does not matter where SFTP is installed. Hence, if you want you can install/setup SFTP on NAS and provide the details on UCCX/CUCM etc and that should work.

The only thing is if it does not then TAC might not support it as the supported SFTP servers include Titan, OpenSSH and Cygwin. Refer below

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100_chapter_01.html#CUCM_RF_SF85A44F_00

Regards

Deepak

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The backup files will not have any indication of the schedule they're being created from, you would certainly need to handle this by using a different directory for the backups, or different servers.

HTH

java

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Backup files do follow a naming convention that includes the date and time. If that is not enough to find when it was taken then go the path which Jaime is suggesting.

Regards

Deepak

Hi Deepak & Jamie,

THanks for your reply...

I can't point to different directory if I use the same sftp server.is that right?

If it's right , then I should create separate sftp server to point to different directory...

That sounds correct, you will not be able to use the same SFTP server to different directories at a given point of time. That being said, you can change the directory location on the fly i.e., on daily, weekly, monthly as per your requirements but not sure how feasible that will be.

Regards

Deepak

That's actually false, I just tried it, I use freeFTPD for my lab, and CUCM 11 had no problem at all using the same server (I already have regular backups configured for all my lab) as another backup target, just using a different directory. I'm even using the same user.

At least CUCM will have no problem if you use the same server, you'd have to try this with your SFTP, but I don't think you'll have any problem.

HTH

java

Were you able to create/use different directories path concurrently and did that work. Definitely, you can use same SFTP server but the point is can you create different directories path on a single SFTP server at the same time and use it that way??

No you can't

Regards

Deepak

You cannot have two backups working at the same time, that's a system limitation that has always been there, no matter if manual or scheduled, but you can definitely use the same SFTP to configure your backups, per day/week/month, using a different directory, just making sure the schedules don't overlap.

HTH

java

Alright then we are on the same page in that case. You can use different directories on the same SFTP server provided you keep on changing that on the fly as I mentioned in my previous post i.e, choose path as /Daily for the daily backup, then change it to /Weekly for the weekly backup and so on.

Regards

Deepak

I don't see why you want to change this on the fly, you're going to have 3 scheduled backups (day/week/month), simply configure each one to use a different backup target.

HTH

java

Well yes from the application (CUCM) perspective you are right that simply create 3 different scheduled backups with different backup target. However, you will still need to change the path on the SFTP server and my comment "On the fly" was more from that perspective unless you are using different users on the SFTP server and do it that way and can have different back up directories running all the time on the SFTP side.

Regards

Deepak

Hi Deepak/Jamie,

Thanks both for your reply...

I tried to create the two different backup device with different path using same SFTP username and password , the backup is successful and as excepted. I can retain the backup for each backup's in the backup device.

My another question here ,Can I route the backup's directly to NAS (Qnap-T451) if SFTP /any file transfer installed over there...Please advice...

Regards,

Ramanathan

Once your backups had been created on the SFTP server you should be then able to move them to NAS storage as. That is a normal move operation, not sure if there is a way to automate this process on the SFTP server you might need to Google it but manually you should be able to do it.

Regards

Deepak 

Hi Deepak,

Thanks , yes we can move the file to NAS from the SFTP installed server.But my question is whether we can create SFTP in NAS and create backup device point to NAS device.Is this supported in CUCM/UCCX/Unity ?

Regards,

Ramanathan

From the application perspective, it really does not matter where SFTP is installed. Hence, if you want you can install/setup SFTP on NAS and provide the details on UCCX/CUCM etc and that should work.

The only thing is if it does not then TAC might not support it as the supported SFTP servers include Titan, OpenSSH and Cygwin. Refer below

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100_chapter_01.html#CUCM_RF_SF85A44F_00

Regards

Deepak