Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Tomcat service failure to start in CUCxn 8.5.1

sibun
Level 1
Level 1

Hello CSC Team,

I am experiencing a problem with Cisco Unity Connection 8.5.1 where Cisco Tomcat service does not want to start resulting in web access to Unity Connection also not working show an error message like this "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

The Cisco Tomcat service keeps on showing the following when I try to start it;

Cisco Tomcat [Starting]

Cisco Tomcat [Starting]

Cisco Tomcat [Starting]

Cisco Tomcat [Starting]

Cisco Tomcat [Starting]

Cisco Tomcat [Starting]

Cisco Tomcat [Starting]

Cisco Tomcat [Starting]

Any ideas why the Cisco Tomcat service wouldn't start?

Thank you,

Sibusiso.

8 Replies 8

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I guess this may indicate a serious internal problem of the CUCx. Did anything bad happen to the server?

The last time I saw such behaviour was when I accidently pulled the power cord out of the server. It never worked correctly anymore (I got a valid backup, thanks God).

G.

Hi Gergely,

Thank you for your response. From what I understand from the customer is that there were power interruptions and the Unity Cxn server finally failed to boot up and we user the "Disaster recovery" CD to get it working but the Tomcat service never started.

Thanks,

Sibusiso.

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to check the following outputs from the affected server

show status  --------------to check for any unusual memory / disk usage

utils diagnose test   ----------- check dns, tomcat , ntp etc

utils core active list --------------- to see if any core dumps have been generated

If there are any core dumps or any errors in diagnose test command then it will need to be analyzed further for the exact cause of the issue.

HTH

Manish

Hello Manish,

Thank you for the troubleshooting commands, I will check and feedback the outcome.

Thank you,

Sibusiso.

Hi Manish,

Please find attached the output of the commands you forwarded.

The reverse DNS lookup is failing. You will need to get it fixed. Also, i see some core dumps generated towards end of July, they need to be investigated as well. If fixing reverse DNS lookup doesn't fix the issue then engage TAC to investigate core dumps and Tomcat process.

HTH

Manish

Thank you Manish, I will let the site engineer investigate the DNS issue.

Thank you.

Sibusiso.

Hi,

do you have a recent backup? I would not really worry about fixing problems here, if I were you, I'd just go ahead and reinstall and restore.

G.