cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity 7.0 & CUCM 7.1.3 -- Need to exceed licenses for migration; will this cause any problems?

AvantiPress
Level 1
Level 1

I'm asking here because I've been able to find absolutely zero documentation for either product.

We need to essentially DOUBLE our user count on both products in order to facilitate a migration to Office 365 from Exchange 2007.

Since these are both EOL, obviously we cannot increase the licensing count by purchasing more licenses.

Will either of these products complain or disrupt service if we do this?

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That version of CUCM worked with DLUs, and sometimes allowed for some extra DLUs to be used, but once you hit that limit, you cannot configure anything else that consumes DLUs.

From what I recall that version of Unity also worked based on licenses based on the MAC address and those were a hard limit as well, you cannot go beyond what you purchased.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Ugh... Thanks.

In that case, is there any way we can use Unity without it requiring a corresponding Exchange mailbox for each user?  (Some kind of SMTP relay, forex)  I can't see a way to circumvent this, and that's the problem -- This version of Unity definitely will not integrate with Exchange Online.

Not that I remember, that version forcefully required a message store to be available, Exchange or Domino.

Only CUC can work without any external message store.

HTH

java

Thanks again... you have been insanely helpful.  One more followup.

How does CUCM allocate licenses?  Is it per-device or per-user?

Example -- If two AD users are associated with a single phone, is that 1 license or 2?

That version was based on DLUs, I can't recall exactly how they were allocated. 

Current versions are per user and type/number of associated devices.

HTH

java

Hi Avanti,

In the mentioned CUCM version, the Licenses are DLU. so it depends upon what phone model that you use.
I found device units usages in my repository if it helps you..it doesn't contain all phone models; 

DLU.JPG

Regards,

Shalid  

Silly question but why not upgrade the Cisco Collab products to current versions before the O365 migration? Unity Connection supports both on-premise and Exchange online, including auto-discover to find where the mailbox of a given user is homed. That would seem to make the MS upgrade/migration far easier.