cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Migration

DanB03UK
Level 1
Level 1

So I am in the process of migrating UC Cluster from 2 DC's to 2 new DC's, fortunately all 4 DC's are connected and all ESXI hosts etc are discoverable on PCD etc, so fingers crossed for a smooth migration this weekend.

With regards to their Unity server, it is only single node, but wondered what peoples thoughts were with regards to migrating this, i.e whether to use vmotion or a back up and restore method onto a new VM OVA template?

Its not a huge node but it's knowing what the best practice is in moving

6 Replies 6

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Just use vMotion to move the VM.

What do you mean by DC’s? By what you wrote I guess that you’re not referring to what would typically be considered a Data Centre. If all you want to do is to move a VM from one ESXi host to another then use vMotion. If you’re looking to do something else please get back with a clarification on what it is that you want to accomplish.

Response Signature

DanB03UK
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Guys,

Just to confirm yes I meant Data centre, should of been more specific. They are all hosted on vcentre so will go ahead with Vmotion, I guess i could probably upgrade and then vmotion or vmothion then upgrade, probably not an awful lot of difference, I just didnt know what best practise was to either vmotion or alternatively backup and restore.

Thanks for your help

In my view a data centre is a collection of ESXi hosts in a ESXi system at one location, that is not the same as two different hosts in a ESXi system within a data centre. It is absolutely possible to move VMs between two different data centres with vMotion, but that typically also includes various other things like change of IP address on the service that is running on the VM.

Response Signature

4 DCs

London
Zurich
Shanghai
NYC

All have 4 esxi local hosts, all hosted on the same VCentre client.

Unity VM is moving from Shanghai to London.

That is a very big and quite complicated thing to do and involves a long list of activities that you need to complete. For one it very likely involves a change of IP address of the service running on the VM that you plan to move.

Response Signature