cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 12.5 snapshot support

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Are snapshots still an unsupported option for all Cisco UC nodes? I have to upgrade a single node CUCm system to 12.5 SU4 (from 12.5) and while I am confident all will be fine, I have a 3 hour window to get the upgrade finished, switch version and get all the phones (less than 200) back online. I plan to take a DRS backup before hand and can rebuild and restore to a new VM but was hoping to minimize the outage window in the event of am issue that caused me to have to roll back. Since it's a single node with no subscribers there is no replication to be concerned with. That also means there is no secondary node for the phones to register to in the event of an issue.

9 Replies 9

Yes they are still unsupported. If you'd want to minimize the rollback time it's advised to clone all of the nodes in the cluster before you start the upgrade. Having that said up to this point I have never seen any issues with a switch back to the prior version, although it's for the most been done quite recently on 12.5SU4 to go back to SU3.

Response Signature

AFAIK snapshot is still not recommended.  Run Upgrade Readiness COP File and this will let you know if you are good to upgrade. 

Response Signature

Thanks.  Yes, I planned to run the readiness test pre-upgrade as well.  

I've never had to switch back previously, and w/ the readiness test that does alleviate some of the concern as a lot of the pre-checks are done, just wanted to have some form of opt-out in the event of an issue.  I'll look into cloning and see if that's an option.  That requires the server to be powered down if I recall correctly?

Its a minor upgrade. Go through the release note and read me document for su 4. If you do the process as per the guides things will be okay. Never tried clone. Someone from Community will answer that question

Response Signature

Yes cloning is a powered off thing.

Response Signature

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks.  The pre-upgrade looked fine other than free space so download ciscocm.free_common_space and will install that prior to the upgrade an re-run the pre-upgrade check to see if that frees up enough space; if not will adjust the high/low water marks and go from there. 

I see the TVS and Call-Manager certificate are expired so I may correct those first, take a backup and then do the upgrade, time permitting.

For the certificate topic you could have a look at this document that I wrote. Cisco UC Certificates Renewal Guide 

Response Signature

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks.  I have a great guide that I've used in the past for renewals but I'll review those as well.