cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC 8.5(2) DNS SRV sample?

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

I see the new CUPC 8.5(2) client uses 1) Local cache 2) Registry 3) DNS SRV for finding the CUPS Server.

?

What does the DNS SRV record need to look like for the CUPC client to use? I can’t find an example.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_5/english/release/notes/cupc85.html#wp298754

3 Replies 3

ben.fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jason,

I logged a TAC case on this one....

---

"the service name is “_cuplogin” and that the record had been created in the “_tcp” folder on the DNS server"

---

I have not tested this as unfortunately it is pretty much useless as it stands today...

---

"The DNS server is ONLY used for new clients, that is the first time the client starts.   Once the client has got cached information it will use that data rather than using the DNS SRV request"

----

Therefore it does not provide on-going redundancy or load balancing as expected when using DNS SRV.  This has been requested for future release.

I was about to open up a case too.

Question then: If presence node 1 goes down and all the clients are configured with a hostname of the presence node. How do they fail over? CUPS 8.5(3) and CUPC 8.5(2).

I'm about to input this DNS SRV entry right now and try it out.

Ok - so it works. Here is what I did.

I have a CUPS 8.5(3) cluster active/active balance user distribution.

Root domain: ad-domain.com

CUPS proxy domain: ad-domain.com

Sub-domain created in DNS: cups.ad-domain.com

Node DNS entries:

presencenode1.ad-domain.com A record to the CUPS node 1

presencenode2.ad-domain.com A record to the CUPS node 2

CNAME records created under cups.ad-domain.com

(same as parent) ALIAS presencenode1.ad-domain.com

(same as parent) ALIAS presencenode2.ad-domain.com

When doing NSLOOKUP for "cups.ad-domain.com" I get the correct resolution round-robin to all my presence nodes.

Add the _cuplogin._tcp.ad-domain.com record by clicking the root domain on the DNS server and add SRV record.

Service: _cuplogin

Protocol: _tcp

Host offering this service: cups.ad-domain.com (this is the clusterwide SRV name configured on the presence cluster)

Launched a new CUPC installation once DNS replicated. The CUPC client was configured with "cups.rh-law.com" which will perform round-robin lookups for the presence nodes.