Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT restore quitted.

tetsuo-kawakami
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are trying to replace Unity 4.0(3)SR1 box running Japanese Win2K with another box running English Win2K. I installed same version of Unity on the box running English Win2K with another host name other than the Japanese Win2K box.

I ran DbWalker v4.0.17 on the Japanese Win2K box without error and DiRT backup v1.0.115 to copy Unity configuration into the 3rd box.

Then I stopped the Japanese Win2K box and rename the English Win2K box as same host name as Japanese Win2K box, referring the Unity Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide.

Then I ran DiRT restore v1.1.3 on the English Win2K box to restore the saved configuration from the 3rd box. However DiRT restore quitted without any message. After this, Some of Unity services fails to start on the English Win2K box. I got the

Japanese Win2k box back into production for Unity production system.

I looked at the \CommServer\Logs folder but no SqlSync_xxxxx.txt with appropriate timestamp is found.

Is there any way to find the cause of the DiRT restore failure?

5 Replies 5

tetsuo-kawakami
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you restore Unity database manually step by step from DiRT backup data, not using DiRT restore utility? Is that possible?

For Example, issue SQL 2000 RESTORE command, copy the saved streaming files to somewhere under the \CommServer folder, run *.reg file and so on?

Regards,

No - DiRT is doing way more than just restoring the database - there's lots going on in the background.

You need to open a TAC case and get it looked at - if it's failing like it's highly unlikely that it's a problem with DiRT - it's more likely an install problem or a permissions issue or the like (these are very commonly blamed on DiRt).

Lindborg-san,

Thank you for your responding. I would re-install Unity and run DiRT restore again, and I would like to open TAC case if it fails again. Could you let me know what kind of trouble information I should gather in order to open case about DiRT restore failure?

I think I should gather the DiRT backup data as well as version information.

Is there any other information?

Best regards,

Kawakami

The primary things to gather are the DiRT logs themselves and the SQLSyncSVrxxx.log files from the

\commserver\logs\ directory - TAC may ask that you turn on traces and attempt the restore again to look for something more specific as well...

Lindborg-san,

Thank you very much for your advice. Anyway I would retry the installation.

Best regards,

Kawakami