Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable login for external users in Unity connection

Hi All,

Hope that everyone is doing well.

Now we have a security issue with our Unity server (11.0).

If a call comes to voice mail from a forwarded extension like follows. 1001 is the internal extension and 9999 is the voice mail pilot number.

External Number --> 1001-->9999

Conditional call forwarding is enabled on the extension which is forwarded to voice mail pilot.

During the IVR (User is not available drop a message after beep) if I press * it will allow me to login to any voice mail accounts.

But press * to login is not announced any where.

Some guys are taking advantage of this scenario and they and trying to lockout the voice mail accounts and leading to security concern.

can any one please help me to disable the login by entering *

Note : In forwarded routing rule Attempt to login is not configured.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As written:
You probably need to get into the user settings and change the caller input settings there.

But then you disable the option for the user to sign in into his own VM-box (if you have disabled the option "Skip PIN When Calling From a Known Extension")

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Modify the caller input for "*" in the default call handler "Opening Greeting"

May I know which is the default call handler,

We have two forwarded routing rules one is Attempt Forward and next one is Opening Greeting.

If I change Attempt to forward to opening greeting then It's not providing an option for drop a voice mail.

I mean this audio message "User is not available record your message at #"

But if I change to opening greeting I can change caller input and I can reject those calls which are attempting to login.

As already written call handler "opening greeting".
You should have seen this already buy yourself, when checking the forwarding rule.

You don't need to modify any of the forwarding rules.
Just disable the caller input of the mentioned call handler.

That's already removed and still during the prompt "Username is not available record your message at #"  if I press * It's asking for "Enter your ID followed by #"

Then maybe the call is hitting the other forward rule and uses the destination, where this rule points to.
But this you can all check by yourself. Use RTMT to check which rule / call handler / ... is used, or if it already landed in the VM-box of the user, who forward to Unity, and then modify the corresponding object.

Maybe you have to disable the caller input on the user's VM.

IMHO, that should be basic knowledge and you shouldn't need anyone to direct you click by click through the GUI ...

It's using Attempt to forward conversation for providing this announcement -"Username is not available record your message at #" but I am not getting an option to disable caller input their

As written:
You probably need to get into the user settings and change the caller input settings there.

But then you disable the option for the user to sign in into his own VM-box (if you have disabled the option "Skip PIN When Calling From a Known Extension")

But can also modify the authentication rule for voicemail, which is used by the users, to fit your needs.

When I disabled caller input * from the user mail box, I am unable to login and this works for me as a solution.

Now I need to figure out how I can update it in bulk.

Thanks Winter for the valuable suggestions and I have updated all the accounts using Bulk edit and updated Caller input * behavior.

Once again thanks for your valuable inputs.

By default the * in caller input is sign in.

NithinEluvathingal_0-1690465068350.png

Change that to ignore. This you need to modify on the call handler.

NithinEluvathingal_1-1690465205347.png

NithinEluvathingal_2-1690465336840.png

Response Signature

Hi Nithin Ji,

I have two scenario here

1. User have a mail box - in this case if a call comes to unity it will play the announcement "Username is not available record your message at #" during this prompt I am able to go to attempt to sign in with * Key and I can't find out in Attempt to forward conversation for customizing the call input.

2. User don't have a voice mail box - Here I am getting opening greeting like " Cisco unity messaging system from a touchtone telephone....." Here I am able to block sin in by updating caller input of * Key.