cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Expected user experience when using Jabber with MRA and there is a node failover

PaulPonzeka
Level 1
Level 1

Our setup is we have two separate Cisco Expressway E nodes.  one is expresswayny2.domain.com and the other is expresswayny2.domain.com.  MRA works without using through both of them individually.  We are using the Jabber client on iOS, Android and Windows with Phone Services only.  

Our SRV records are:

expresswayny1 weight 5 priority 10

expresswayny2 weight 10 priority 20.

We are trying to wrap our heads around failover behavior.  When a user is logged into Jabber, they connect through expresswayny1 for their edge configuration, and CTRL+SHFT+D in Windows shows at the bottom the two servers for _collab-edge.

If we shutdown expresswayny1 to simulate a failover, all in place calls drop (understand thats 100% expected and makes sense), but the problem seems to be even though after a minute or so the edgeconfiguration switches to expresswayny2, phone services are never able to re-establish unless the user log's out of Jabber and back in.  Once they log back in everything works as expected. 

Is this the behavior?  Anything we can do to make it more seamless? 

2 Replies 2

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think you mentioned if your Expressway-E's are clustered or not. It reads like they are not. In which case, Phone registration failover only works with Clustered Expressways.

To support Unified CM failover over MRA, Cisco IP Phones need clustered Expressway-C and Expressway-E servers.

Source: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X12-5/exwy_b_mra-expressway-deployment-guide/exwy_b_mra-expressway-deployment-guide_chapter_01.html#reference_33772F26927EEE5FBB6B42E12D1F37E8

Anthony,

Thanks for that.  I clustered the C and the E's, and repeated and got the same behavior.  If i shut down the connected to E, after about 30 seconds the jabber client reconnects to the secondary E, (confirmed with Ctrl+shft+d), but then the phone services at the bottom of jabber just keeps spinning. 

Using Jabber Version 12.5.0.22884 Build 272884  on Windows 10.