Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway upgrade help

richfellows
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

Looking for some help with an Expressway upgrade.  The information I found online was a little light in terms of substance and I'm wondering if you can help fill in the knowledge gaps.  

Basic info:

Expressway-C:  Cluster of 3 total devices with 2 devices in one data center and 1 device in a different data center

Expressway-E:  Cluster of 3 total devices with 2 devices in one data center and 1 device in a different data center

Version:  8.61

When we do the upgrade do the cluster nodes get done one at a time or do they all upgrade simultaneously?  If they are done separately do we select the order in which they are done or does it automatically go through them one at a time?  Looking at the documentation it isn't clear and looking at the menus it doesn't help either.  I didn't want to keep clicking along to look at what the prompts on the next screen were for fear of causing an issue on the production systems.  This will be my first time doing an upgrade of an Expressway and I'm not the original person that installed them so any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!

Rich

2 Replies 2

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have never upgraded any cluster of expressway but upgraded single node of E and C .It is quite simple.

I was referring the link which says :

All clusters peers are running the same version of code. The only occasion where different peers are allowed to run different versions of code is for the short period of time while a cluster is being upgraded from one version of code to another, during which time the cluster will operate in a partitioned fashion.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X8-1/Cisco-Expressway-Cluster-Creation-and-Maintenance-Deployment-Guide-X8-1.pdf

so,you need to upgrade the each server in a cluster one by one.

regds,

aman

Thanks for the info.  It does seem like it would run one by one in this case.  

If anyone else that's done a cluster upgrade has any feedback/tips please let me know.