Views
Helpful
Replies

H323 vs MGCP when doing E-SRST and SRST Mgr

BILL PETERSEN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I had a question about nailing up a cisco voice gateway such as a 2911 as an H323 or MGCP gateway when you plan to do E-SRST failover and will be using the new SRST Manager server.

So is it better to use H323 as the GW control protocol when you are doing E-SRST or does MGCP also work fine in that situation? Before if you were doing CME fallback it seemed best to use H323 so not sure in the new case using E-SRST and the manager server.

thanks

bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My personal opinion is to never use MGCP as it is prone to defects, issues, etc.  It makes even more sense not to use it at remote locations requiring SRST as you need to build H323 fallback anyway (dial-peers, etc), so that kind of defeats the purpose.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My personal opinion is to never use MGCP as it is prone to defects, issues, etc.  It makes even more sense not to use it at remote locations requiring SRST as you need to build H323 fallback anyway (dial-peers, etc), so that kind of defeats the purpose.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reponse. I was wondering though when using E-SRST if the SRST manger server will still push configs to the router though no matter if you are using MGCP and H323? Before to get CME fallback and such you had to use H323 but with the advent of E-SRST will configs get pushed to the router even though you are using MGCP?

thanks