cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I have 3 CD for install unity, what mean each one?

oscar cordero
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have to install the Uity 7.0(2), and I have 3 CDs for do it. whats mean each one and whats is the correct sequence of installation?

1) Cisco Unity  (version 7.0(2), application and localizations: ENU, ENX, ARA, CHS, CHT, CSY and DEU)

2) Cisco Unity Data Store 2000 (version ENU, with the cisco unity system, preparation assistant)

3) Cisco Unity Message Store 2003 (version English)

principally I need wich one i have to install first and there are a manual of installation for following.

note: the platform operate systems 2003 (window server) is installed.

thanks very much.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello -

In addition to the excellent post by Tray, I wanted to add the value of CUSPA, Cisco Unity System Preparation Assistant.  Trust this tool!  Once started, the file is called cuspa.vbs, it brings up a very friendly window and shows you what is needed to be installed, in preparation for the CUICA (install of Unity application).  By selecting the number of voicemail ports at the beginning of CUSPA, it will select either MSDE (32 or less) or SQL (the Data Store CD); check for IIS and other needed components.  You just click down the list as it progresses to the next software component needed.  It is, in my opinion, one of the easiest ways to install the right software for the Unity application, spoken from someone who did without CUSPA in the beginning of working with Unity!

Sincerely, Ginger

View solution in original post

Hi Oscar -

1. Failover means a second Unity server, for which you need to purchase failover licensing.  Here is a link for reference - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps2237/data_sheet_c78-478111.html

2. Voicemail - typically the Unity server is installed as its own AD infrastructure, with the Unity server acting as domain controller and global catalog server, runs Exchange on the Unity server (or can be separate server) and users access voicemail using a different account than the one used on their PCs.  The naming standard for user accounts MUST be different.  In the past I have used vm-xxxxx where xxxxx is the user alias.

3. Unified Messaging - users access same inbox for email and voicemail.  Unity is installed as a member server in domain and integrates with existing AD and Exchange infrastructure.  Users use same account as their PC.

In prior Unity versions, voicemail only licensing was cheaper than unified messaging.  Now it is up to you to decide.  If your users want same inbox for email and voicemail, you will want Unified Messaging.  Note Unity must be installed as member server in AD domain and integrate with a separate Exchange server.  If this is not your area of expertise, I recommend you contact your team members that provide this support to discuss with them.  The links you posted will discuss the differences in the two installs.

Hope this helps!

Ginger

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All your answers are in the install guide. Please read the following guide..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/correct_ig/7xcuigcrct.html

Please note that we offer the use of the Unity release 5.x guides for 7.x installs so they will still apply here. Please don't let the 5.x version confuse you. The guide will tell you when to use what CDs.

Tray

Hello -

In addition to the excellent post by Tray, I wanted to add the value of CUSPA, Cisco Unity System Preparation Assistant.  Trust this tool!  Once started, the file is called cuspa.vbs, it brings up a very friendly window and shows you what is needed to be installed, in preparation for the CUICA (install of Unity application).  By selecting the number of voicemail ports at the beginning of CUSPA, it will select either MSDE (32 or less) or SQL (the Data Store CD); check for IIS and other needed components.  You just click down the list as it progresses to the next software component needed.  It is, in my opinion, one of the easiest ways to install the right software for the Unity application, spoken from someone who did without CUSPA in the beginning of working with Unity!

Sincerely, Ginger

Thanks very much. I will follow the CUSPA principally and the guide installation as secondary reference.

Another question is in the guide installation appear two types of install:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/correct_ig/7xcuigcrct.html

1) Voice Messaging

2) Unified Messaging

wich one I have to follow? wich is the diference?

Last question is failover installation, this mean failover in the unity (two unity servers) or failover in the exchange (2 exchange servers)?

Your answer is very apreciate.

kind regards.

Hi Oscar -

1. Failover means a second Unity server, for which you need to purchase failover licensing.  Here is a link for reference - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps2237/data_sheet_c78-478111.html

2. Voicemail - typically the Unity server is installed as its own AD infrastructure, with the Unity server acting as domain controller and global catalog server, runs Exchange on the Unity server (or can be separate server) and users access voicemail using a different account than the one used on their PCs.  The naming standard for user accounts MUST be different.  In the past I have used vm-xxxxx where xxxxx is the user alias.

3. Unified Messaging - users access same inbox for email and voicemail.  Unity is installed as a member server in domain and integrates with existing AD and Exchange infrastructure.  Users use same account as their PC.

In prior Unity versions, voicemail only licensing was cheaper than unified messaging.  Now it is up to you to decide.  If your users want same inbox for email and voicemail, you will want Unified Messaging.  Note Unity must be installed as member server in AD domain and integrate with a separate Exchange server.  If this is not your area of expertise, I recommend you contact your team members that provide this support to discuss with them.  The links you posted will discuss the differences in the two installs.

Hope this helps!

Ginger

Thanks very much ginger.

Your answer was very aprecite.