cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbound Called Party Translation Across MGCP T1 PRI

C_Noble
Level 1
Level 1

I need some help with modifying Called Party numbers.

We have an MGCP gateway with T1 PRIs to a legacy PBX.
The legacy PBX can only send me 7 digits instead of 10. 

I have 10 digits on the phone and I need to add 777 (Example Number for privacy) to the begining of the number.
Example:
              Dialed number : 4551218
              Number needs to translate to 7774551218

To accomplish I did the following:
     1. Configured translation pattern 455XXXX > Called Party Transformation 777455XXXX, in a partition "Legacy".
     2. Configured Calling Search Space with access to only "Legacy" partition.
     3. Assigned the calling search space to the T1 as Inbound Calling Search Space.

The call never gets translated and show "unallocated number" in RTMT.
As a test, I gave one of my CUCM numbers the calling search space configred above, and the translation pattern does work.

Why is the call not being translated when it comes across the T1?

Am i missing something?

Any help is appreciated!

28 Replies 28

Im doing it from the GW now.  Same deal...

Everything appears to look good.  Am I correct in doing this translation the way I am doing it (with a translation pattern on the inbound T1)?

You can do this in many different ways. Either use translation pattern in the inbound CSS as you do or transformation pattern to change the called number by using the transformation CSS option. But the simplest way is to just use the prefix DN in the inbound call section on the gateway to simplify add 777 in front of whatever you get from the gateway.

image.png

Apart from this there are other options, but let’s stick with these for the time being.

What you should know is that you can never mix traditional call routing, like TP, RP or DN, with transformation patterns as that would have severe impact on your calls.

Response Signature

Apart from what I previously wrote this article is a great read if you want to understand the use of transformation patterns in CM. Understanding the 5 uses of Calling Party Transformation Pattern in UCM It's written by the great Vik Malhi, likely the most gifted trainer that I ever had the pleasure of having attending a class with.

Response Signature

Ok so what worked was this:

-I reconfigured my T1 PRI on CUCM, my test phone and the test line with default values (to rule out any errant configurations).
-I configured the above items with correct values, and added 777 as the prefix on the Incoming Called number setting on the T1.  No joy, still didnt work.
-I put the translation pattern back in place and ensured the T1 had access to the pattern, and that the CSS on the translation pattern had access to the DN being dialed.

While I was changing / verify the defaults on the T1 I noticed that my colleague had changed some default values I have never seen changed before, not sure if this was the issue or if there was an issue on the phone itself.

Interestingly, I'm still not sure why the Prefix setting doesn't work and the translation pattern did.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Hard to say if it could have been the settings you mentioned that your colleague had touched as your not sharing what it was.

Response Signature

Hi,

Could you please send a new debug isdn q931 while placing a call to an internal extension from outside?

I need to check something.

Thanks a lot 

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hi @Roger Kallberg ,

The device statement indicates that the DNA hits a phone as final destination not where the call is generated from. So I see a successful call from call routing prospective.

Cheers

Carlo

Thanks for the clarification.

Response Signature

Two things, originally you wrote this.

Dialed number : 4551218
 Number needs to translate to 7774551218”

In your screenshot of the TP it shows that you translate to 7774351218, that is not matching what you originally wrote.

IMG_4633.jpeg

Secondly does the outbound CSS used on the TP see the PT where you have your directory numbers?

IMG_4634.jpeg

Based on the name I would guess that this CSS would be used for egress calls that has international call privileges. If so that would likely not be the appropriate CSS to use for the outbound CSS on the TP.

Response Signature

Ah.  You caught the actual number.  In reality it is 435.  Was just hiding for privacy.
The CSS-INTERNATIONAL has access to all the route patterns in the call manager.

I can confirm that the INTERNATIONAL-CSS has access to the INTERNAL partition.  The directory number is a member of the INTERNAL partition.

For clarity, I have now changed it to the INTERNAL-CSS.

It is directly inappropriate to have inbound calls sent to a CSS that sees partitions used for egress calls as that opens up for call loops. Strongly recommend you to change this. Inbound calls from external parties only need to have visibility of partition(s) that holds directory numbers.

Response Signature

Yes.  The translation pattern's CSS has the partition of the DN being dialed.

Hi ,

Instead of Calling Search Space INTERNATIONAL-CSS in the translation pattern, use a CSS containing internal partition only.

HTH

Regards

Carlo