cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Integration CUCM Cluster with remote site clusters

Abdull_Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

For your advises please as I am configuring a new CUCM 12.5 cluster and I would like to integrate with remote sites CUCM 12.5 clusters.. the question here what is the best way to make the connection between clusters ?

I am comparing inter-cluster trunk (non-gatekeeper controlled) vs SIP Trunk. What are the benefits, features can SIP Trunk will provide comparing with inter-cluster trunk (non-gatekeeper controlled)?

Thank you 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Personally, I would go with a normal SIP trunk. As SIP is already and will be the signalling protocol to go with (SIP to provider, more and more endpoints are sip-only, connections to other systems, ...), personally I wouldn't do a mix-up of signalling protocols (less protocol interworking).

Also features like BFCP, URI dialing and video are available over the SIP trunk.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/11_5_1/sysConfig/CUCM_BK_SE5DAF88_00_cucm-system-configuration-guide-1151/CUCM_BK_SE5DAF88_00_cucm-system-configuration-guide-1151_chapter_01110.html

But I don't have something like a "feature comparison" and I don't think, that a Inter-Cluster trunk is really used in general.

--- Please rate this post as "Helpful" or accept as a solution, if your question has been answered ---

View solution in original post

One big difference would be the ability to use ILS for distribution of information between the clusters. This is only available with SIP AFAIK.

For more details on this please see this document. https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/cucm-intercluster-lookup-service-ils-configuration-guide-based/ba-p/3358335

Response Signature

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The SRND recommends SIP trunks if CUCM versions are 8.5+ and to only use ICT if they're below 8.5

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

6 Replies 6

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Personally, I would go with a normal SIP trunk. As SIP is already and will be the signalling protocol to go with (SIP to provider, more and more endpoints are sip-only, connections to other systems, ...), personally I wouldn't do a mix-up of signalling protocols (less protocol interworking).

Also features like BFCP, URI dialing and video are available over the SIP trunk.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/11_5_1/sysConfig/CUCM_BK_SE5DAF88_00_cucm-system-configuration-guide-1151/CUCM_BK_SE5DAF88_00_cucm-system-configuration-guide-1151_chapter_01110.html

But I don't have something like a "feature comparison" and I don't think, that a Inter-Cluster trunk is really used in general.

--- Please rate this post as "Helpful" or accept as a solution, if your question has been answered ---

Thanks for your support and reply.. As SIP trunk is later than Inter-cluster which use H. 323 It is considered better. I also believe that it is the sip is the future.. I am comparing its provided features with Inter-cluster features such vedio calls, BLF presnes are etc.. Most them are available..

My concern why SIP is better than H. 323?

Thank you 

I don't think, there is a "correct" answer to this question.

In some scenarios, H.323 would be better, in some SIP would be better. You can search the internet for pros / cons about those to protocols, but nobody will tell you, which one you should use, if you can choose.

But as almost everything you connect to CUCM now supports SIP or is SIP-only, there is no need to use H.323 and maybe bring in more complexity into the whole system architecture.

The whole topic Collaboration is complex enough, so I don't make my work harder, than it is.

One big difference would be the ability to use ILS for distribution of information between the clusters. This is only available with SIP AFAIK.

For more details on this please see this document. https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/cucm-intercluster-lookup-service-ils-configuration-guide-based/ba-p/3358335

Response Signature

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The SRND recommends SIP trunks if CUCM versions are 8.5+ and to only use ICT if they're below 8.5

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for reply.. But why the SRND recommends SIP trunk if version is higher than 8.5..what the featuers and functions that the SIP will add comparing with Inter-cluster 

Thanks for your support 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: