cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Integration with Siemens Hi Path3800 and 3750

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have seen the Cisco Interoperability guide that lists integrations with various PBX models including Siemens however this customer wants to look at an IP integration. All systems have the HG1500 IP cards as per the customer.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns340/ns414/ns728/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805b561d.html

Has Cisco done any IP testing for 4 digit dialing between this system and CCM? I know I can get basic T-1 connection going but I am specifically inquiring on IP integration

Thanks

Srini

9 Replies 9

blakh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Srini Unfortunately we do not have any of these systems in our PBX lab. We have a Hipath 4000 Rel 3 which does support SIP and we are currently in the process of testing the interface and will be publishing the note within a month from now. SIP functionality on our Siemens is supported using a HG3550 trunking card. Siemens have implemented SIP in a proprietary way QSIG over SIP (SIP-Q) and from what I understand the only option available to us is what Siemens call Native-SIP which will only give us a handful of features. The Hipath 3800 is a small business (500 users max) IP switch which does support Basic and PRI functionality. I found the following information on the system using http://77.92.65.28/HiPath_3800.htm.

The Hipath 3750 is also a small business system which supports 500 users max but I believe it is no longer manufactured or supplied and has been replaced with the 3800. The system is based upon a EURO-ISDN platform so therefore it will support both BRI and PRI. The system supports H.323 using HG 1500 board and you can find out more key information using the following URL. http://77.92.65.28/HiPath_3750.htm

The trunking card you mention which is used by both of the above systems, HG 1500 is only for H.323. We do not have this card as our system instead we have a HG35XX which can be configured for H.323. We have never tested H.323 as the demand for such functionality/interoperability is very low. I did stumble across this config guide which helps with understanding the cards functionality. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/TELECOM-S-Z/Siemens%20HiPath%20HG1500%20Service%20Manual.pdf.

So moving forward we need to understand what your customer would like to do based upon my statement above? If he would like us to test using the HG35XX triunking card then we can do this but how valid the results will be is questionable due to the hardware differences. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other additional questions using my direct number.

Regards, Bally

Bally

First of all thanks a bunch for the detailed reply. Often you get standard answers like "If it isn't on the interoperability guide then you are out of luck" I appreciate all the options you have provided me and I have an email into the customer to see what he might want to do. I had one quick thing to verify,

We plan to do 170 phones at the HQ site. They will have a 2 remote sites still having Siemens since they don't have the budget to rip and replace all their sites with Cisco. I would love to steer them towards the PRI approach since it is tried and tested but it will require additional hardware since I may have to a VG at each site to connect the T-1. Hence just to clarify with the H323 approach what would you recommend?

1) Configure these cards as H323 gateways in CCM and route the calls to them? This will ensure no additional hardware but who knows we might burn more time trying to get it to work.

2) Use a Cisco VG and set up a H323 DP to this card and of course have the router talk H323 to CCM? Is there any advantage of doing this way?

Is there any benefit of going one way over the other?

Also in your last line you mention about contacting you directly via phone. I am not sure how to do that since I am not a Cisco employee and cannot look you up directly

Thanks

Srini

Hi Srini

Before you proceed with using H.323 you have to clarify from the customer what features they want working with respects to supplementary services i.e reroute, path replacement, forwarding using re-route or by join....etc as I believe H.323 will only support basic call functionality. If the customer is happy with basic call functionality then it really becomes a trail and error secnario.

I have managed to confirm that H.323 is implemented using ITU Standard so therefore there should be no issue getting the gateway configured between CUCM and the HG1500 to work. This will cover your option 1 and to be hounest with you you will have to give it a shot and see how things work if the customer is willing to support you on the PBX.

Your second option requires additional hardware …..correct? So therefore this as you mention in your response is not ideal. But if you decide to proceed with the VGW then you might as well intergrate with the PBX using T1/E1 and config the VGW between CUCM as an MGCP GW and then connect the ISDN trunk to PBX as the PBX is capable of performing the LAN-LAN coupling via ISDN. The following URL will give you a even better understanding of how the cards works http://www.datasharptelecom.com/siemens/IP_HG1500.pdf.

I hope this additional information is useful and you can contact me on 408 853 3631.

Regards,

Bally

Bally

Thanks for the response. In option 2 I was actually going for using a H323 Voice gateway and still talking H323 to the card as opposed to have a H323 trunk direct from CCM? The reason was I wasn't sure if CCM had all the flexibility that I could get with IOS VG with regards to H323 much like how with SIP trunking it is recommended (for many reasons) to use CUBE as a demarcation point as opposed to direct SIP trunking with CCM when it comes to formatting of SIP messages etc. Of course the last option is PRI which would require additional routers/cards

For now I will position it as a POC and see how it goes and if additional help is needed I can reach out to you

Thanks

Hi

Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help on the CPOC. We should have a SIP appnote shortly on our portal for you to review.

Regards,

Bally

Bally

Thanks for the offer. We are just waiting on the customer to give us the green light for the project. Right now it looks like it will be the H323 config and they just want plain extension to extension dialing. So I am hoping I can add that card as a H323 GW in CCM and it should work. If we run into issues we will work through TAC and I can also ping you.

Srini

Hi Srini,

Can you let me know, how you finally went about with this integration.  My customer has a Hipath 3800 and recently we deployed CUCM 8 for them. Now they would like to see both PBX interoperate.

Can you tell me which is the best option that I can go for.

Regards,

Abraham Sebastian

The customer never went forward with it so I don't have any configs to share

Srini

Hello guys,

i seen your post and found some useful information for my integration also.

can you help me how can i go for my integration as i am having this running setup:

Siemens 3800 version 8

CUCm 10.5

how can go for integration between these 2 telephony system?

what would be required from both sides for call flow successfully.?

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma