cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to change dial out digit to a symbol?

lisacoody
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using Call Manager 8.0.3.20000-2 with "9" as the dial-out digit. We're getting so many accidental 911 calls that the administration has asked me to change the "9" to something else - either another digit or a symbol such as "*" or "#". I've been reading that most companies choose to go with either "8" or "7" but my boss wants to go with a symbol. Is it possible? If so, is it recommended? He also wants me to provide documentation.

Thanks so much!

Lisa

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can use * or # just fine. It is little weird but it will work just fine.  Make sure though you are not using it for other patterns i.e. direct transfer to VM in which case you will need to adjust that first before modifying your route patterns.

HTH,

chris

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Your response is very helpful.

Because I'd always prefer to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake, how can I find out if either of those symbols is used for other patterns? On the route pattern page, I have 32 entries and all of them begin with 9. Is there somewhere else I need to look? I don't want there to be any surprises when I do make the change...

In CUCM go to call routing --> route plan report and search for anything starting with * or #.

Chris

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most customers avoid this problem by deleting the 911 pattern and instead requiring users to dial 9911. This is a much smaller change for users to adapt to than changing your entire OffNet prefix digit.

A less commonly choosen option would be to uncheck Urgent Priority box on the 911 pattern. This way the user has the T302 inter-digit timeout period to dial more digits (default at 15 seconds, most installers tune this down to ~5) before it will dial 911. If you do this be sure you test it afterwards!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

I concur with Jonathan, much easier approach if this is something your company is willing to explore. I have customer who have done just that and placed stickers on the phones to instruct users to dial 9911 to avoid legal ramifications.

Chris

I totally agree that end-user education is the better -- and less drastic -- solution, but it's out of my hands.

I also prefer to stay away from using a symbol, since most users are more familiar with using a digit. Once again, the administration is calling the shots.

Your replies are very much appreciated! Thanks again.