ISR 4331 || CUBE License Inquiry

Flo.Matalis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

ISR 4331

isr4300-universalk9.17.03.04a.SPA.bin

Just an example scenario:

We have 50 CUBE licenses only and we are subscribing 100 concurrent calls from our ITSP.

Can please help to confirm the following?

Even without this command "mode border-element license", everything is working fine. 

We can do incoming and outgoing calls. 

+ Will there be a violation to Cisco license agreement if I will not apply the license?

+ What will be the implications if I will not add the command? (Aside that other commands will not be available)

+ Since we did not put the command, Smart License will not deduct any licenses once we integrate it to Smart License?

+ Will this matter if we open a TAC case in the future?

Thank you.

Regards,

Flo

1 Reply 1

Hi there, 

I may not be able to answer all of you queries, but from my observation and experience, please find below points; 

The command itself is not enforcing any licenses to the CUBE, it is required to see the output when you issue  “show cube” command. 

As long as you have the purchased the licenses, you have the right to use the CUBE session. 

When you migrate to the smart license and once it display in your smart account the CUBE will do periodic update and tell you the license compliance. I have updated all my CUBE to 17.X when I started using the smart licensing and in this version onwards the command capacity is no more in use. (new command - mode border-element license periodicity) 

References from cisco doc "

Effective from Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.2.1r, the capacity keyword and sessions argument are deprecated. However, the keyword and argument are available in the Command Line Interface (CLI). If you try to configure license capacity using CLI, the following error message is displayed:
Error: CUBE SIP trunk licensing is now based on dynamic session counting. Static license capacity configuration has been deprecated.
Effective from Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.2.1r, the periodicity keyword and [mins | hours| days] argument are introduced. The periodicity keyword configures periodicity interval for license entitlement requests for CUBE. If you do not configure license periodicity, the default license period of 7 days is enabled."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/voi-cube-overview.html 

Regards,