cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

M:\ Drive.... what is it?

dolah
Level 1
Level 1

Long story short... I have a SCSI drive that is categorized as "Imminent Failure" according my my SCSI Controller at the time of boot. So, I'm trying to understand the RAID configuration on this server. According to the HP Array tool, it is a RAID 1+0 configuration, but I have only two physical drives.

According to "Disk Management" I have one drive and two partitions (C:\ and D:\).

According to "My Computer" I have three Drive letters... C:\, D:\ and M:\.

M:\ appears to be a browseable mailbox list, folder and file view. But I don't see it listed in the "Shares" under Computer Management. Is it created by Unity?

I'm just trying to understand the drive configuration on this server before I try to replace a failing drive.

Any clarification on this, would be appreciated.

Debbie

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The M: drive is created by Exchange. It is part of the Exchange 2000 IFS (Installable File System). It is really just a way to access Exchange database information using the standard file system interface. Please see the link below for more information. You will want to be very careful browsing, moving, scanning information on M: as you can cause inconsistencies in the Exchange database. The M: drive has been disabled by default in Exchange 2003.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305145&sd=tech

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Does Unity use this area? Should I consider removing it or just leave it alone?

Unity uses the Exchange database, but does not access it through the M: drive. If you do not need the M: drive for one of the reasons listed in the link in my previous post, removing it would reduce the chance of damaging the Exchange database by scanning or modifying this drive. Microsoft has removed the drive mapping in Exchange 2003 for this reason although it can be enabled.

Hope this helps.

Brandon