Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP interaction with CUCM and GW

Rosa Ladeira
Level 1
Level 1

Environment: 

Cluster --> 2 CUCMs - System version: 7.1.5.10000-12: CM voip1 and CM voip2.  CM voip1 is the publisher and CM voip2 is the subscriber.

GW --> 2 Cisco 2811 - version 12.4(13r)T.

When configuring mgcp GW on CUCM, I verified that Cisco 2811 suports only ISDN.

Currently there are 2 E1 R2 digital circuits connecting PBX and PSTN.

Is there any protocol that enables usage of CUCM controlling GW E1 R2 digital circuits ?

8 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Use H323

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

Yes, the protocol has nothing to do with those capabilities.

HTH

java

HTH

java

H323 is a peer to peer protocol, it won't, and will never register with CUCM.

You need to place a call and see what happens or run debugs to make sure it's working properly

Yes, you need to configure the GWs in CUCM, and then in RGs, RLs

HTH

java

HTH

java

Yes  you are completely true for redundancy , you will have two cisco gateways ( you will configure two route goup each route group has one h323 gateway from your two routers, after that create route list which will includes the two gateways. After that select in each route pattern the route list which you created (which includes the two gateways). For registeation you can use

Router# show dial-peer voice summary

Thank you

please rate

That has nothing to do with registration, that shows you the DP status and operational status.

Which, apparently you haven't configured, so, you need to get all that config.

There are plenty of docs on CCO about H323 config for CUCM.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Dear Rosa

I do not see any show commands to see if your gateway is registering to your CM , but the command which i typed will show you if your configuration is ok with yur call manager (your dial-peers will show you up and you also show the IP of your call manager which you register on) .Please find the below output

8 voip   up    up            83...            0   syst ipv4:172.16.13.111

As you see this a dial-peer no 8 and destination -pattern os 83... and the call manager is 172.16.13.111 , finally the status is up.

Thank you

Please rate

Hi Rosa,

Let me try and help clarify your doubts on this. From the screenshot you provided, the working gateway shows the ip address correctly while the other gateway doesn't. What this means is that a TCP connection could not be established between the CUCM node and gateway. The reason could be several like firewall, config issues, network issues, interface binding, etc.

Removing and adding the gateway back caused the CUCM and gateway to try and establish a TCP connection again, which was successful this time around and things started working fine. A reset of the gateway from the gateway config page should ideally have done the same thing, so in case you run into this again, try the reset first and then move onto readding the gateway, helps save some time :-)

HTH.

--
Regards,
Harmit.

Hi Rosa,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you tried the reset first. There may have been something hosed up with the H323 stack on CUCM which was preventing the TCP connection to get established, just guessing though. A Packet capture from both GW and CUCM along with detailed CUCM SDI and SDL traces would help get to the root cause if you were to run into this issue ever again. Thanks for the nice rating. See you around!

--
Regards,
Harmit.

15 Replies 15

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Use H323

HTH

java

HTH

java

Using h323, CUCM is able to execute all its functions (dial plan,, parking, voice mail....) ?

Yes, the protocol has nothing to do with those capabilities.

HTH

java

HTH

java

I have configure cisco 2811 as an H.323 GW.

CUCM was configured to let 2811 register.

Manual says that "After a gateway is registered with Cisco Unified  Communications Manager, gateway registration status may display in Cisco  Unified Communications Manager Administration as unknown."

Gateways(1 - 1 of 1)  Rows per Page
Find Gateways where endpoints

Device NameSort DescendingDescriptionDevice PoolCalling Search SpaceDevice TypeStatusIP Address
H.323 GatewayXX.XX.XX.XXIMPA Gateway de Voz 1Netadm
H.323 GatewayUnknownXX.XX.XX.XX

So, I can beleive thar GW is resgistered ? Is there any cli cmd on 2811 that confirms regisytation ?

As I have 2 Cisco 2811, I should register the other one Cisco 2811 on this cluster in order to have a backup GW when the first on turns down. Isn't it ?

H323 is a peer to peer protocol, it won't, and will never register with CUCM.

You need to place a call and see what happens or run debugs to make sure it's working properly

Yes, you need to configure the GWs in CUCM, and then in RGs, RLs

HTH

java

HTH

java

Yes  you are completely true for redundancy , you will have two cisco gateways ( you will configure two route goup each route group has one h323 gateway from your two routers, after that create route list which will includes the two gateways. After that select in each route pattern the route list which you created (which includes the two gateways). For registeation you can use

Router# show dial-peer voice summary

Thank you

please rate

Thanks for your answer.

I guess something is wrong.

Command didn't show GW registration.

voipgw1#sh dial-peer voice summary

dial-peer hunt 0

AD                                    PRE PASS                OUT

TAG    TYPE  MIN  OPER PREFIX    DEST-PATTERN      FER THRU SESS-TARGET    STAT PORT

voipgw1#

That has nothing to do with registration, that shows you the DP status and operational status.

Which, apparently you haven't configured, so, you need to get all that config.

There are plenty of docs on CCO about H323 config for CUCM.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Dear Rosa

I do not see any show commands to see if your gateway is registering to your CM , but the command which i typed will show you if your configuration is ok with yur call manager (your dial-peers will show you up and you also show the IP of your call manager which you register on) .Please find the below output

8 voip   up    up            83...            0   syst ipv4:172.16.13.111

As you see this a dial-peer no 8 and destination -pattern os 83... and the call manager is 172.16.13.111 , finally the status is up.

Thank you

Please rate

I have configured route group/list.

Both GWs are available on drop-box configuration, but Device->Gateway shows 147.65.21.130 GW IP as Unknown.

Both GWs have the same running config.

Removing and adding 147.65.21.130 GW on Device->Gateway made everything run fine.

I really do not unsderstand why.

Hi Rosa,

Let me try and help clarify your doubts on this. From the screenshot you provided, the working gateway shows the ip address correctly while the other gateway doesn't. What this means is that a TCP connection could not be established between the CUCM node and gateway. The reason could be several like firewall, config issues, network issues, interface binding, etc.

Removing and adding the gateway back caused the CUCM and gateway to try and establish a TCP connection again, which was successful this time around and things started working fine. A reset of the gateway from the gateway config page should ideally have done the same thing, so in case you run into this again, try the reset first and then move onto readding the gateway, helps save some time :-)

HTH.

--
Regards,
Harmit.

Harmit removing and adding GW was my last try.

I had reseted and restarted GW many times before removing and adding GW.

I had already restarted firefox browser.

Rosa

Hi Rosa,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you tried the reset first. There may have been something hosed up with the H323 stack on CUCM which was preventing the TCP connection to get established, just guessing though. A Packet capture from both GW and CUCM along with detailed CUCM SDI and SDL traces would help get to the root cause if you were to run into this issue ever again. Thanks for the nice rating. See you around!

--
Regards,
Harmit.