Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate CM10.5 between hardware

ggl277808
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We've purchase an UCS CM220 M3 BE server series with VmWare Esxi, where is deployed Call Manager v10.5 and we want to change it to one UCS CM220 M3 series server who belong to a server farm, thinking in giving hardware redundacy.

Is it posible to migrate the server image and license?

How is the license engaged with CUCM? via MAC Hardware or Virutal MAC generated in VmWare at installation moment?

Thank in advance 

5 Replies 5

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Below is the license migration process explained in detail,

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051_chapter_010.html

license are bind to PLM explained below.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12229791/understanding-cisco-prime-license-managerplm

It is advisable to create PLM with Static MAC on virtual machine in case you want to restore the DRS so the license dont invalidate.

HTH

jb

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you moving between the exact same hardware?  C220 M3?

Either way, you can perform a cold migration with VMWare OVFTool, or Veeam, etc.

Jitender already addressed licensing.

Hi Anthony,

Not exactly the same hardware, it would be from CM220 M3 BE to CM220 M3.

I check for export the OVA file, but it seem that I dont have permission for this operation in vSphere client.

Then, OVFTool or Veeam software are able to export the server image files without problem?

Other task I'm thinking to try is downloading vmdk files from configuration/storage in vSphere Client and uploading to the new server.

Thank you

The OVFTool and Veeam both require permissions to perform these operations. I have only ever used them with root, so your experience with it might be different if you lack permissions.

Bowen Qin
Level 1
Level 1

If you using vMotion then everthing is supported.

Also, if you just export the image the import it in the new hardware, you can easily call Cisco Licesing team to rehost your license at any time. Not a big deal.