Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from UCM 7.1.5 to UCM 8.6

ivalopes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We would like to migrate our CallManager solution from UCM 7.1.5 to UCM 8.6. We are using the DUL license mode for devices and we would like to change to the license mode to UCL. Could you please give me some explanation or send the link for information about this issue? We would like to know all the cost related to the migration process namely software/license/hardware acquisition costs.

We have a cluster made of the following server:

• 2 MCS-7845 Server;
  • 1 MCS-7835 Server.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From a maintenance perspective 7.1.5 is already considered to be UCL compliant. There is no conversion, the backend is still DLU till we get 9.0 version. So if you have a valid UCS contract you can upgrade to 8.6. Backend database is still DLU.

Its only with 9.0 when you become user compliant.

Thanks

Srini

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

7.1.5 is already UCL it is the first version to adopt UCL

Thanks

Srini

Dear Srini,

Thank you for the quickly replay.

This means that, to upgrade our CallManager from 7.1.5 to 8.6, we should first convert our licensing mode from DLU to UCL then, we can upgrade the version of CallManager free of additional cost?

If not, please tell me what is my best option to upgrade the CallManager.

Thank You.

From a maintenance perspective 7.1.5 is already considered to be UCL compliant. There is no conversion, the backend is still DLU till we get 9.0 version. So if you have a valid UCS contract you can upgrade to 8.6. Backend database is still DLU.

Its only with 9.0 when you become user compliant.

Thanks

Srini

Srini,

I am facing a similar problem. We bought 7.0 and were ready purchase more DLU to  licenses to cover existing phones only to realise that  we can no longer buy DLUs. So we bought upgrade license for 8.6 and for 400 users. However , I am trying to install but get errors that its not allowed. I'm I doing something wrong ?

I am not sure why you couldn't place orders with DLU since I still see LIC-CM-DL in the ordering tools and it allows me to configure addon. I know new systems aren't possible with 7.X. Probably best to open a TAC case to see what the error is

Hi Srini,

I'm working on an IP Telephony project and I'm proposing the following phone models -

1. 450 units of Cisco 6921

2. 10 units of Cisco 6941

3. 1 unit of Cisco 6961

We have a Cisco UCM 7.1.5 on MCS7825 server hardware - this is running pure DLUs.

However, I'm confused about the DLU requirement for the Cisco 69xx phones. On the unit license calculator of the Cisco UCM 7.1.5, I see that all three phone models require 4 DLUs each.

Whereas on the Cisco UCM 8.5, the license unit calculator shows 2 DLUs required for Cisco 6921 and 3 DLUs required for 6941 and 6961 phones.

There are other Cisco documents (such as Cisco IP phone ordering guide) stating that the 6921 requires 3 DLUs each (ofcourse, this is for UCM 7.1 (2) to (4))

I need a clarification on the exact DLU requirement for 6921, 6941 and 6961 phones for Cisco UCM 7.1.5 and UCM 8.5 environments.

Could you kindly provide any pointers in this direction for me please ?

Regards,

Rajdeep Joshi

Technical Designer - BT

+65 98588220

Rajdeep

Honestly I don’t remember but it shouldn’t matter since migrating from 7.1.5 to 8.6 all your current DLU will be migrated as is. If you are using a program like 9X3 you will get additional DLU to turn up mobile connect. When I add a user license basic it gives me 4 DLU. If we assume 2 of those are for SNR then most likely it is 2 for basic and 4 for enhanced type phone model which is 6941/61 (since you get 6 with the order where the additional 2 is for SNR)

Thanks

Srini

Hi Srini,

Thanks for the response

No, i'm not migrating my DLUs to UCL, instead, i wish to continue using the pure DLU model.

My problem now, is I don't know how many DLUs to order for these phones because of the discrepancy on the License Unit Calculator for UCM 7.1.5 and 8.5

Similarly the ip phone ordering guide also gives a completely different information - adding to my confusion

REgards,

Rajdeep

You cannot order DLU from 7.1.5 onwards it has to be UCL or CUWL

Thanks

Srini