cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI for Shared Line? Urgent!!!

brian-henry
Level 4
Level 4

I have a voice mail box for the helpdesk as 3910 that is pointed from IPCC to leave messages. This is not on any agent phone. However I want to be able to let them know that there is a VM in the Helpdesk VM box by by lighting a lamp on their phones and also having the mail icon not on there physical phone number but a shared line which is labled Helpdesk Voice Mail and the number is 8280. Since this is not a subscriber in Unity but I did tell the MWI staus message to notify 8280 it is not working. If I put another users phone number for MWI notification that is a subscriber and does not have a shared line it works fine. Do I have to make a physical subscriber to Unity as a dummy account to make this work?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not entirely sure I got your setup - you have a subscriber configured for 3910 (your help desk) and you want messages pending for that mailbox to light on multiple lamps, right? So presumably you configured mutliple MWI codes on the messages page for that subscriber, right?

I'm unclear what you mean by the MWI notification to a subscriber is working but another phone is not - Unity doesn't care about the MWI code it sends out being associated with a user or not, it just blindly sends the code you have in there - so no, you don't need a subscriber associated with it in that sense.

Hey Jeff,

I will try to explain a little better.

I know how you can assign other extensions to receive MWI light notification, but I was not aware that it did not have to be a subscriber nor CallHandler to make this happen.

There is a Subscriber in Unity for the Helpdesk Ext.3910.

The DN on the phone for the Helpdesk is 8280 which is not a subscriber or even in Unity.

I just want the light for the DN 8280 to have the mail icon and also light the light on their phone.

I see the MWI trying to call 8280 but it says it fails and I do not see the icon or even light the light. I was using port status to look at what it was doing.

The VM Profile is the same as everyone else with XXXX as the mask.

Am I missing something!

Not missing anything on the Unity side of the fence - if we're trying to dial 8280 then the trigger is working and it's doing the right thing. If it's failing then I'm assuming that there's something up stream in the phone system programming that's tripping it up. Unity makes no association whatsoever with the MWI codes being dialed out and if they are associated with subscribers so that's not an issue here.

I suspect that you're running into a calling search space issue- you're using CallManager, correct?

You should be able to pick up your 8280 'voice mail' line and dial your MWI on / off codes and set the light on / off. If you get a busy when you dial the code from that line you've got a problem. Also, make sure on each appearance of the line that you've selected 'light and prompt' for the Message Waiting Lamp Policy.

One last note- it would be useful for your users if you added 8280 as an alternate extension in Unity. That way all they'd need to do to check VM would be to select the 8280 line and press the messages key- Unity would then only prompt for the password.

HTH,

Jeff

Thanks for everyone's assistance but I do not understand but it worked after I did a test of only putting in another subscribers extension and that was it and then replaced it with 8280! No CSS issue because the 8280 and all other extensions lie in the same partition and it worked the very first time for a subscriber's extension located at 8614. I then changed it to 8280 and saved and then it worked the very first time.

The 8280 had been added 8280 as you noted above because of the reason that you stated. I could have also used a VM Profile so that when they pressed the messages button it forced it to 3910 which is the real mailbox extension. Do you have a suggestion on the best method to use? I wanted to use the VM profile that way if someone mistakenly dialed 8280 within Unity it would not ring the extension on the phone of the agents that would be lableled HD VoiceMail, I think that would shock them to much :-).

I want to thank each of you for your responses.

One more thing.

Do any of you know how to track down a voice mail message that sounds like a skipping record?

You would hear Hey Mike, Hey Mike I would like like to talk to you you.

At first I was thinking that maybe people were calling from a cell phone and it was cutting in and out, but I will ask the people tomorrow from were the other person was calling from to track it down better.

Brian