Views
Helpful
Replies

Onboard DSP in CUCM MCS server !

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all.

I know CUCM is installed on MCS server or cisco approved third party servers. I just want to know that

1) Does MCS also has the provision to install DSPs ?

2) is it correct that CUCM can only support conferencing of g.711 streams ? or in any newer version it supports g.729 also ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The plot thickens...

So - you have created a region?

You need two regions.

Each region must be assigned to an individual device pool.

One phone must be in each device pool for this test.

You must also verify that the region matrix is configured correctly - i.e. the codec selected between Region1 and Region2 is g729.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John

1) MCS servers do not have any DSP capacity. DSPs would be installed in a router (e.g. a 28xx or 29xx, or any other decent ISR).

2) Yes, CUCM only conferences g711 with the software conference bridge. For G729 conferencing, you would have DSPs in an ISR and either transcode the streams that go to the CCM software bridge, or simply conference on the DSPs directly.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Sir,

I tried this in lab using CIPC and IP blue phones. I assigned HO device pool and set G.729 codec between each other. Now when i try to do conferencing, the calls are made (i cant actually speak anything since there are no mics), so why the conference call went successful when CUCM only support g.711 conference ?

Kindly guide me

Hi John

When you have the conference running, have you verified the codec in use by hitting ? twice on the CIPC?

Aaron

yes sir i checked. when i make a simple call, its showing me G.711 codec !!!

Why is that so when i set the region to select g.729 even when they are calling each other !!

Pls tell me whats happening here

The plot thickens...

So - you have created a region?

You need two regions.

Each region must be assigned to an individual device pool.

One phone must be in each device pool for this test.

You must also verify that the region matrix is configured correctly - i.e. the codec selected between Region1 and Region2 is g729.

Aaron