Views
Helpful
Replies

OnPrem WebRTC with DeskPro / RoomKit

sfrank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

has someone an idea if and when WebRTC will be usable with CUCM registered endpoints? 

25 Replies 25

@sfrank Did you find a method to turn on  WebRTC feature on WebEx board or WebEx desk pro that is registered totally on-premises (CUCM) without any cloud awareness?

You can get WebRTC as a function enabled on the video devices without cloud awareness as it actually only relies on the web client functionality on the endpoint. But you would not be able to use it to join MS Teams or other type of meetings that uses WebRTC as you cannot enable calendar integration without it being cloud aware. As OBTP is the only option for joining this type of meetings and this relies on Hybrid Calendar your options are to use Edge for devices to make your on-prem endpoints cloud aware.

Response Signature

Dear @Roger Kallberg  I have WebEx Board and WebEX Desk pro with OS RoomOS 10  are registered to CUCM 12.5, and I can see clearly in WebEngine features status page that WebRTC status is off. and WebRTC status is Microsoft Teams availability is unavailable, so the question how can I enable the WebRTC and make its status is On? If I can enable it, I will be able to join any Microsoft Teams through Web App just put the Web link of MS teams invitation or permanent Team meeting then choose to join through Web browser ,not app and join without using a hybrid calendar or any booking system.

Simple answer is no you won’t be able to join a WebRTC meeting.

AFAIK the only way to join a MS Teams meeting with a Cisco video device is to get the meeting to show up on the device and for that you need to invite the device calendar account and have hybrid calendar enabled. With this OBTP will be presented to let you join the meeting that is in the device calendar.

Response Signature

Kindly find this video https://youtu.be/BKXOIqWrX5E

you can see here he can press MS teams Web App and simply joins the meeting through WebRTC without using hybrid calendar and OBTP, my question can I just enable WebRTC without any cloud awareness ? as per Cisco webex board administrator guide WebRTC can be enabled only during cloud registration or Webex Edge for devices, however I will register my webex desk pro on cloud and test if I can join MS Teams without using hybrid calendar 

I’ve seen that video before and as far as I can tell it is using a purpose built macro to join a specific meeting as it’s doesn’t give any option for entering what meeting you want to join. My guess is that it is something that was created just for the demo purpose.

Per all general available information OBTP is needed to join a WebRTC meeting of choice.

Response Signature

Hi,

unfortunately WebRTC is disabled or at least access to the webcam and microphone is disabled when the device is registered on premise only. You can create an Webbrowser button and connect to the meeting but therefore have no audio and video. 

I gave up on this and we started to migrate away from those locked devices.

Yes Cisco should allow endpoints to turn on WebRTC without connecting to cloud, in our environment we have on premises Infrastructure and we can’t go to cloud for security reasons and many business environments have same concern. I don’t know what is the reason for disabling WebRTC ? Webex board  is using open source browser Chromium which supports WebRTC by default.

This is just a business decision. You can open a feature request at Cisco TAC and forward this to your account team. Maybe something changes when there are enough people asking for it. 

I found work around to solve this issue, now Webex Desk Pro and Webex Board that are registered on premises can join Microsoft Teams Web app or WebRTC successfully, kindly find the following steps:

1-Web Engine
First enable Web Engine on the device Settings>Configuration>WebEngine, turn the mode to On

2-Get backup from the device
Navigate to System Maintenance > Backup and Recovery > Backup. Then press Download
And save it on your PC.

3- Edit the configuration file
Extract the backup folder, open the configuration file in Notepad ++ and edit it with the following command, then save it:

WebRTC Provider MicrosoftTeams HostNames: "teams.microsoft.com,gov.teams.microsoft.us,dod.teams.microsoft.us,login.microsoftonline.us,login.microsoftonline.com"
WebRTC Provider MicrosoftTeams Mode: On
WebEngine Features Microphone: On
WebEngine Features Camera: On

4-Upload the backup file
Compress all backup files with new modified configuration file ZIP format, then upload it again
To the device, by navigating to System Maintenance > Backup and Recovery > Restore.
Choose file then upload, and make sure that there is no error.

5- Microsoft Teams service status
You can verify that Microsoft Teams service is available, Settings > Status > WebRTC

6- Web App
Add web apps for Calendar or Web Mail in order to open MS Teams invitations or MS Teams permeant team link so you can open it directly from the device .
Navigate to UI Extensions Editor, choose new then add Web App.

7- you can join the MS teams meeting from your mail or the direct team (meeting) link or also Microsoft web app login page ( but it is slow ).

8- you can now allow your camera and Microphone to access your browser as shown in the attached video thanks to configuration file commands
WebEngine Features Microphone: On
WebEngine Features Camera: On

9- you can share your presentation but make it at preview mode before joining the meeting then click share icon at MS team meeting and allow your browser to access HDMI cable .

10- I recommend to upgrade to latest room OS version 10.8.3.1 or 10.8.2.5, I noticed the chromium browser performance is better

A simpler way to implement this is via the Developer API / Execute Commands and Configurations:

xConfiguration WebEngine WebRTC Provider MicrosoftTeams HostNames: "teams.microsoft.com,gov.teams.microsoft.us,dod.teams.microsoft.us,login.microsoftonline.us,login.microsoftonline.com"
xConfiguration WebRTC Provider MicrosoftTeams Mode: On
xConfiguration WebEngine Features Microphone: On
xConfiguration WebEngine Features Camera: On