Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OS upgrade for CCM 4.3

Hello

I have CCM 4.2 and I want to upgrade it to CCM 4.3 because new "expansion modules 7915" don`t work with 4.2. To upgrade CCM 4.2 I need first to upgrade CCM`s OS Win2000 to Win2003. I couldn't fined where I can download file "win-os-upgrade-k9-2003-1-1.exe". What "service contract" I need to buy to have access to this file?. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

As I pointed out earlier - you can't 'upgrade' as you might with a standard windows installation. You take an application-level backup, reinstall the OS from media as Win2003, reinstall the app, restore the backup, reinstall extras such as locales, dial plans, service releases, etc. It's far from trivial.

So yes, it deletes Windows 2000 (and everything on the server, including your apps and data).

You'd also need to verify your hardware is still supported on that release.

Seriously - I would recommend either:

1) Exchanging those expansion modules for one that is supported on the current version of CUCM

2) If you are going to upgrade, upgrade to a modern platform that will have support, new features, a simplified installation procedure, and so on.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You can't upgrade 2000 to 2003 - at least not in the Cisco world :-)

You would rebuild the OS from media, install CUCM, and then restore a backup - it's detailed here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/4_3_1/upgrfrom.html#wp1044456

The other problem you'll have is that you are trying to upgrade from a dark ages piece of software to a middle ages piece of software - they're both at or near end of life now (

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps556/end_of_life_notice_c51-612453.html)

. You'll have software costs associated with the upgrade as well, I would seriously consider upgrading to a more modern release. Upgrading to 4.3 doesn't bring much benefit other than the slightly more up to date (but still out of date) OS, and a newer linux based release would include lots of new features and functionality as well as still being a supportable release.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I know that CCM4 is EOF long time ago, but it is working very well in one of our office (on the original servers btw ) ,they bought new modules and my job is to make them work.

"Cisco requires that you install the Cisco Unified  Communications operating system version 2003.1.1 (or later) with the  latest service release before you upgrade to Cisco Unified CallManager  Release 4.3(1)."

My question is the same: where I can donwload OS 2003.1.1 and what license I need to buy to do this?

Hi

You can't download the OS media - you get it when you buy the CM4.3 upgrade. As it is end of life, you will most likely find that you cannot buy it.

Speak to your Cisco accounts folks.

Aaron

Thx for you answer. I want to clarify one last thing. You saying that this 2003.1.1 upgrade is not a simple upgrade, this is CD with clear Windows2003 OS that I first will need to install on server, it will delet existing Win2000? And it is imposibble to upgrade working server with OS Win2000 ?

Hi

As I pointed out earlier - you can't 'upgrade' as you might with a standard windows installation. You take an application-level backup, reinstall the OS from media as Win2003, reinstall the app, restore the backup, reinstall extras such as locales, dial plans, service releases, etc. It's far from trivial.

So yes, it deletes Windows 2000 (and everything on the server, including your apps and data).

You'd also need to verify your hardware is still supported on that release.

Seriously - I would recommend either:

1) Exchanging those expansion modules for one that is supported on the current version of CUCM

2) If you are going to upgrade, upgrade to a modern platform that will have support, new features, a simplified installation procedure, and so on.

Aaron

Thank you