Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound Calling and the Fast Busy

b-krull
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm having issues with the outbound calling between our ISR 4331 and a SL-100 phone switch.  Whenever we try to dial a seven digit number from our Cisco phones, we get a busy tone; however, phones attached to the SL-100 can call us.  The legacy phone tech wiped his hands of it and told me good luck.  We are using a MGCP gateway over a T1 (PRI) with CUCM 12.5.  Q931 says I'm getting a "No Circuit\Channel Available" error when dialing outbound.  I've tried numerous route patterns - seven digits, 10 digits, with a 9 or 99, but still fast busy.  I've wiped the ISR and started over, rebuilt the route list and groups, to no avail.  I've attached my configs and some debugs.  I appreciate your help.

11 Replies 11

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager

and try again

actually its in there....sorry I missed it the first time

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

I used to be an "expert" in both MGCP and PRIs. I will need to do some research to refresh my memories.

any specific reason why you are using MGCP vs SIP for this?

Thanks Steven.  We operate very small locations that are offshoots from a legacy switch.  MGCP has worked fine for our other locations; not sure why this one is any different.  

To me, I'm thinking something is off with our controller channels but I'm not showing anything wrong.  

Are you sure you have the right ISDN switch type? You could also ask the SL100 tech to busy out all the PRI B channels, and then clear that. I had a customer that had interconnections between CUCM and an SL100, and the SL100 would occasionally decide that a particular B channel wasn't available when it wasn't actually in use. I would be interested in seeing the Q.931 debug for both a successful call and a failed called. Does CUCM try the same channel more that once? You could also change the channel selection criteria between the choices of "top down" or "bottom up".

Hi Elliott,

We have the b channels turned down except for 0/1/0:1. I know the calls are hitting the channel but dropping. I'm getting a 0x80C1 Bearer capability not implemented on the q931 debug.

I've been trying different codecs but nothing has been helping.

This rings a vague bell. Would you post the Q.931 debug? I am looking through my notes, but I think it might have something to do with the calling party name or something else wonky. Seeing the whole conversation (a success and a fail) might help jog my memory.

Here is some stuff from another thread on how to set the CUCM side of the PRI.

Called party IE Number Type unknown - Subscriber
Calling party IE Number Type unknown - Subscriber
Called Numbering Plan - Private
Calling Numbering Plan - Private

Here is the link.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/cisco-to-nortel-callpilot-vm/td-p/1176245 

It has probably been 10 years or more since I saw this, but this sounds familiar. I do remember it was something dumb like this.

I spent part of yesterday working with Cisco after creating a tac.  Cisco stated the SL-100 is looping the call back to the ISR where I guess it dies.  They told me to reach out to the Nortel side to identify why they are looping it back.

032052: Mar 14 14:39:25.062: ISDN Se0/1/0:23 Q931: RX <- SETUP pd = 8  callref = 0x0413

Bearer Capability i = 0x8090A2

Standard = CCITT

Transfer Capability = Speech

Transfer Mode = Circuit

Transfer Rate = 64 kbit/s

Channel ID i = 0xA9838D

Exclusive, Channel 13

Calling Party Number i = 0x0080, '4399915'

Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown

Called Party Number i = 0xC1, '4396667'

Plan:ISDN, Type:Subscriber(local)

What does the Q.931 look like in a successful call from the SL-100? If you are sending a call, where is the debug portion of the call where your gateway is doing the TX -> SETUP?

b-krull
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Elliot, I will post my q931 tomorrow after I try your recommendations.  I've found today that my call will roll through all the channels, with each one erroring out with "Bearer capability not implemented".  I know its hitting the channels on his end, but I dont know why its not pushing through short of something on the Nortel end either blocking the number or a wrong route pattern.  What makes it tough is that the other tech states "everything is good on my side".  Ugh.