Views
Helpful
Replies

primary Unity server (4.2) fail

Muhammad Irfan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have Cisco Unified Voice Messaging system with Exchange 2003. Unity is deployed in failover scenario. We just came to know that Primary Unity server is down for last three month. However secondary server is working fine.

Now we are going to rebuilt the primary server. We will take the backup with DIRT from secondary sever and restore to primary sever.

Kindly advise if it will not effect the current user data, just like Publiser CCM.

I am afraid, user have personlized their greeting and voice mail with secondary and once the primary server will be up these data will be lost.

BR

3 Replies 3

Scott Hills
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Sounds like you have the right idea.

Basically you will start by breaking the SQL replication between the servers. You will take a DIRT backup from the secondary. Then you will reinstall the Primary Unity. Then restore the DIRT backup taken from the secondary then finally run the failover wizard on both the primary and secondary.

All this is stated in the following guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_130.html#wp1226403

From your description it sounds like the server has been running on the secondary for a few months. During that time new users have been added to that server and recorded greeting.

This being the case when you restore the DIRT backup from the secondary server to the primary the servers should have the same configuration as users.

The expectation is all users greeting and configuration that existed on the secondary should now be on the primary. Thus no lose of data such as greeting should be expected.

Good luck,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for response, as i have mentioned that server is crashed so SQL replication is already broken.

secondly I have read in Cisco document that while restorting the backup (taken form Secondary unity) will not restore the personalized greeting etc which was recorded when primary server was not available. Kindly advise on this.

This is very sensitive customer and I dont want to take any risk.

You can see below paragraph in your sent link.

Replacing Only the Primary Server in a Pair of Failover Servers

This section describes how to replace the computer on which the primary Cisco Unity server is installed. The replacement primary server keeps the IP address and server name that the original server had.

Caution Changes made to the Cisco Unity system (for example, recording new greetings or making subscriber changes) while the secondary server is active and the primary server is off line are not replicated to the primary server.

BR

Irfan

Hi Team,

Any suggestion on this.