Helpful
Replies

Prime Collaboration Provisioning phone provisioning best practicies

Amit Shah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a few questions as to how people best use PCP to provision phones

1) In case of open area phones do we have to create have to create a Pseudo user everytime we have to build a phone?

2) Is there a way to auto assign an extension to the Pseudo User

3) If I am deploying Jabber (desktop & iphone ),  1 phone, remote destination profile and device profile whats the best way to provision that?

2 Replies 2

Anthony Gerbic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) In case of open area phones do we have to create have to create a Pseudo user everytime we have to build a phone?

[Tony] Yes. While this is pretty easy to do as phones are added it is a bit move difficult with an existing network with hundreds or thousands of orphan phones (phones unassigned to a userID). When adding new phones you can use the Manage Endpoints to select orphan phones and assign one or more of them to single userIDs such as Building5Phones or LobbyPhones, for example.

When you have a lot of orphaned phones you can export them and either add them to one or more non-human userIDs or replicate the MAC addresses as user names or with a prefix like “user-“ followed by the MAC address (user-008767834ed4 or perhaps user-SEP008767834ed4). This is an easy cut/paste operation with the format command. Add in any Domain or other batch info you need and batch import to create the new non-human userID each with one phone assigned. 

Once in the system, they can then be fully managed like any other human user with a phone, including moving the phone to a human user.

2) Is there a way to auto assign an extension to the Pseudo User

[Tony] with or without a phone? Both can be done.

Generally auto assign is done by adding a pseudo user, like adding a real user.  This can usually be done at the UI, CSV or batch function.  Also depending on LDAP policy at the company, you can put a pseudo user into LDAP, just like a real user, and just let the normal Automatic Service Provisioning function do the work automatically.  This is a great way to create conference room phone service. Put the conf room name in LDAP with a location and something to trigger off to assign the conf room as a user type like ConferernceRoom and define the user role to have an 8831 with a line, and auto assigned line DN.  A custom template for phone and line will automatically set the line appearances, and things like speed dials and local dialing appropriate for a conference room.

You can auto create, or manual create, a pseudo user like IronConfRoom and just give them a line. With this an installer can go to a conf room and use the self-provisioning phone attachment function in CUCM to attach the conference phone to the line.  if the installer does not remember the self provisioning ID number, the installer can log into the Prime Self-care portal as the conf room user and it will show the self-provisioning ID.  Once the phone is attached to the line in CUCM, CUCM will update PCP automatically with the new phone model and MAC address.

3) If I am deploying Jabber (desktop & iphone ),  1 phone, remote destination profile and device profile whats the best way to provision that?

[Tony] Make sure you have a user role for the user with at least the automatic service provisioning and the individual services and bundled services set up, plus add any templates you want to be auto assigned.   You can do the LDAP sync and have the user and these services automatically created in the system.  Alternately you can add the user in the User Provisioning UI and pick auto provision for that user role and PCP will do the work automatically.  Additionally, if you have only added the user to PCP and not assigned phone and services yet, you can go to the user record and pick quick provisioning. It will allow you to check box the phone, Jabber (desktop and iPhone for example) and other services you what to give (EM, SNR or voicemail, for example) and just submit and it will do the work automatically.

Using the automatic provisioning function will allow you to provision a uniform configuration for many users due to the defined templates and keywords in the templates.

Hi Anthony, 

Can you give a brief explanation of why to use the Pseudo checkbox?  I see that you can select it for User or Open space, and I've read that we use pseudo for conference/lobby phones.  I've run into errors where the "Open Space" account I created is not able to be provisioned a service because it's "Waiting to be added to call manager".   So if you have an example of why to use types: User, User-pseudo, Open Space, open space-pseudo I'd appreciate it.