Views
Helpful
Replies

Python Script to Automate/Schedule Reboots of UC Cluster

josh.ingle10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have a particular, but I think possible request! Our company's current UC System Engineer(s) has to spend over an hour, sometimes 2 hours rebooting our UC Cluster consisting of 10 servers. We typically like to do this every 30-50 days. Firstly, is it possible to automate this process via a Python script? Secondly, if it is possible, can anyone provide how-to's for the scripting, references, quick gotchas, real-world experience, etc... in doing so? The business use case for this is to automate this process so that our engineers can run the script, walk away and come back to check on the status every so often instead of having to sit and watch, and click through all the areas to reboot each server. Please let me know if this is the wrong area to post this discussion, and kindly point me in the right direction!

10,000-foot Overview of the UC Environment:

CUCM consisting of 1 Publisher and 3 Subscribers.

CIMP consisting of 1 Publisher and 1 Subscriber.

UCCX consisting of 1 Publisher and 1 Subscriber.

CUCX consisting of 1 Publisher and 1 Subscriber. 

Call Manager Version is 11.0.

10 Servers in all. They're all Virtual Appliances hosted on B6000M-series servers acting as our ESXi hosts.

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suggest trying Prime Collaboration Deployment. It allows you to schedule jobs and sends email alerts upon job error/completion. You can get it by submitting a PUT order.

EDIT: I just noticed this is CUCM, IM&P, CUC, and CCX. PCD will allow you to reboot all of those except CCX.

Also, it is *not normal* to reboot these products on a regular basis like that. Either you’re wasting time or have a defect that should be investigated and patched. They all run on RHEL/CentOS and modern servers have ECC memory; they should be able to run for years without a hiccup (though you should be applying updates more frequently than that).