cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting administrative passwords in CUC8.6

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I would like to change the Application and Administrator password in the CLI, but when I execute the utils reset_application_ui_administrator_password and utils reset_ui_administrator_password commands at the CLI I get the following errors;

Update FAILED: code = 21, DUPLICATE CREDENTIAL.  Is there a step that needs to be done that I'm missing?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps the password you are attempting to change it to is the same one or something that was recently used?

Chris

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Shikamarunara,

Hope life is treating you well my friend

This "Policy" is what you are likely seeing;

Error: Repeat credentials prohibited by credential policy

Repeat credentials prohibited by credential policy

This issue is caused when you try to reuse the same password. The value for the Stored Number of Previous

Credentials parameter specifies the number of previous passwords that Cisco Unity Connection (CUC) stores

for a user. If this parameter is set to a value other than 0, when a user enters a new password, CUC compares

it to the stored passwords, and rejects it if it matches a password in the history. The default setting for this

parameter is five passwords.

Stored Number of Previous Credentials

As a best practice, specify a number in this field. By doing so, you enable Connection to enforce password uniqueness by storing a specified number of previous passwords or PINs for each user. When users change passwords and PINs, Connection compares the new password or PIN with those stored in the credential history. Connection rejects any password or PIN that matches a password or PIN stored in the history.

By default, Connection stores 5 passwords or PINs in credential history.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/security/guide/8xcucsec060.html

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps the password you are attempting to change it to is the same one or something that was recently used?

Chris

It's the same account I'm using to log into the cli to change the password. It occurred to me that that may be the problem, but I've not seen this kind of limitation before in any modern OS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Shikamarunara,

Hope life is treating you well my friend

This "Policy" is what you are likely seeing;

Error: Repeat credentials prohibited by credential policy

Repeat credentials prohibited by credential policy

This issue is caused when you try to reuse the same password. The value for the Stored Number of Previous

Credentials parameter specifies the number of previous passwords that Cisco Unity Connection (CUC) stores

for a user. If this parameter is set to a value other than 0, when a user enters a new password, CUC compares

it to the stored passwords, and rejects it if it matches a password in the history. The default setting for this

parameter is five passwords.

Stored Number of Previous Credentials

As a best practice, specify a number in this field. By doing so, you enable Connection to enforce password uniqueness by storing a specified number of previous passwords or PINs for each user. When users change passwords and PINs, Connection compares the new password or PIN with those stored in the credential history. Connection rejects any password or PIN that matches a password or PIN stored in the history.

By default, Connection stores 5 passwords or PINs in credential history.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/security/guide/8xcucsec060.html

Cheers!

Rob

Helpful as always, Rob.  How's life treating  you?    You set me on the right path, that error was confounding me!  Thanks, again!