Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site Connectivity Between BE6K and Voice Gateway 2901

andrewlkk
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Is an Ethernet handoff required for site to site connectivity between BE6K and a voice gateway 2901. My vendor is suggesting that it's required in order for both sites to see the BE6K as one phone system. However, here in lies the problem. I have a point-to-point T-1 between the sites that does not have an Ethernet handoff, just the smartjack to the T-1.

What would I need to get this to work? Have a router at each site? If so, which model? Or is there a component I could add to the BE6K or voice gateway?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need ip connectivity between the sites and BE6K servers. You can use a single gateway or you can use multiple gateways. The phones in the sites need to register with CUCM and that can only be done via IP connectivity. What is the point to point T1 for? Is that for voice or WAN?

Please rate all useful posts

Thanks for the reply. At one site, we have a voice gateway. At the other site, we have a BE6K. The purpose of the PTP was connectivity between the two. The PTP T-1 is for data, but the vendor said we need an Ethernet handoff, which we don't have. 

Ethernet handoff just means  that the provider will deliver the circuit using Ethernet. What circuit is your provider delivering for you? Do they manage your WAN? Like I said what you need is ip connectivity between your sites and BE6k. If your T1 connection provides WAN connectivity and you have ip connectivity between the sites, then I don't know what you need any handoff for. The question is do you have ip connectivity between the sites via your T1 connection

Please rate all useful posts