cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing issue in CUBE

dgonzalez1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, yesterday we have an incident with a CUBE cluster in which both CUBEs stopped processing SIP calls and I found this in the logs:

081377: Jun 21 2024 14:32:41.275 BUE: %SMART_LIC-3-COMM_FAILED: Communications failure with the Cisco Smart License Utility (CSLU) : Unable to resolve server hostname/domain name
081378: Jun 22 2024 14:33:33.306 BUE: %SMART_LIC-3-COMM_FAILED: Communications failure with the Cisco Smart License Utility (CSLU) : Unable to resolve server hostname/domain name
081379: Jun 23 2024 14:34:25.338 BUE: %SMART_LIC-3-COMM_FAILED: Communications failure with the Cisco Smart License Utility (CSLU) : Unable to resolve server hostname/domain name
081380: Jun 24 2024 14:35:17.367 BUE: %SMART_LIC-3-COMM_FAILED: Communications failure with the Cisco Smart License Utility (CSLU) : Unable to resolve server hostname/domain name
081381: Jun 25 2024 14:36:09.398 BUE: %SMART_LIC-3-COMM_FAILED: Communications failure with the Cisco Smart License Utility (CSLU) : Unable to resolve server hostname/domain name
081382: Jun 26 2024 11:14:10.500 BUE: %SIP-1-LICENSING: SIP service disabled until license report is acknowledged.

So, it seems it was having issues to connect to Smart Licensing until yesterday when it decided to disable SIP service.

We rebooted both CUBEs and the problem was resolved. It is working fine now, but I would like to know wath happened and how to prevent it from happening again. Specially because I found that there is actually no connection to tools.cisco.com. At least pings are unsuccessful. So I don't know how it's been working until yesterday (for most than a year) and how it's working now after the reboot.

The IOS version is 17.06.01a

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify that.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

b.winter
VIP
VIP

It shut down the SIP service, because it couldn't verify the licenses. Normal license enforcement (maybe you should read the docs first). The logs can't be clearer about that^^ What more info than the logs do you need?

You should get your smart licensing straight on the CUBE or upgrade the router to e.g. 17.9.5a. IIRC, the had some issues with the licensing in the 17.6.x versions.

If you’re utilizing the CUBE feature, please note that CUBE is a licensed feature. Your router needs to update its usage to the smart account and get the usage authorized. If this is not done, the service will stop after 90 days.

In your case, the router is not connected to the Smart account. If you’re using cloud SSM, you need to use the smart receiver option, and the router tries to connect to smartreceiver.cisco.com, not tools.ciscocom.

If you’re using SSM on-prem, you can use the CSLU option

Response Signature

dgonzalez1
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, thank you both, I'm begining to understand how it works.