Views
Helpful
Replies

STUMPED ON 7941G

rod.mynatt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My efforts to resolve issues with a model 7941G are just compounding.

I am using CUCM SYS VER 8.0.2.40006-1 (doubt this is problem area) and

Model                        SW Version                DEVICE         

-----                             ----------                     -----------      

WS-C3560G-48PS     12.2(58)SE1               ACCESS SWITCH

7941G                       79XX_default_load      CISCO PHONE Model            

My initial problem have two parts and one compounded part:

A1 - Models 7912, 7940, 7941 and 7942 (as recorded) do not pull the proper Voice VLAN IP, though the switch port is set with the proper Data and Voice Vlans and the DHCP scopes are proper. Phones pull a Data Vlan. The work around is to make a DHCP reservation (mostly to mark the situation) and static a proper Voice Vlan IP into the phone. The majority of my other phones (including these models) function noramally.

A2 - Models 7941 ad 7961 do not allow Settings, Network Configuration access until a phone is registered, a catch-22 as the phone must be static configured for it to regisiter. Enabling the phone Setting Access is moot as that is only applicable after the phone registers. No found discussions on this frustrating delima.

B1 - A compounded issue on a current 7941G phone involves loss of phone power or no demand anyway, as the phone shows no display.

In attempt to clear out the Data Vlan on the phone pulls I performed my trusty Factory Reset (123456789*0# method) to no avail.

I found a Cisco Support Community Discussion of Dec 26, 2009 Cisco IP phone 7941 reply from Mr Vivek Kalra that provided expanded Factory Reset

information regarding Soft/Hard/Hard w/Net Setting Preservation Options.

The commonly known/used Soft Factory Reset Option (123456789*0#) would not clear the held Data Vlan IP.

The Hard Factory Reset w/Net Settings Preservation Option (*742369#085) was no good as I wanted to clear the erroneous Data Vlan.

So here is where the issue has compounded,

The Hard Factory Reset (3491672850*#)(This was going to be the one) has caused the phone to have NO PHONE DISPLAY!

The phone MAC shows up on the network.

The phone now pulls a proper Voice Vlan IP (fixed by Excluding the Data Vlan IP it was pulling in DHCP).

The Voice Vlan IP pings OK. It fails pings only on cycling reregistration attempts ( a normal/common experience).

From show cdp neighbor g0/3 detail, the switch provides power, but the phone Power Request Levels are: 0 0 0 0 0.

Tried upping the provided power using Interface command: power inline consumption 12000, to no avail.

The show cdp neighbor g0/3 detail and show power inline - show the upped 12W provided power, but the phone wants no power. WHY?

Subsequent Factory Resets of all 3 option types were unfruitful.

Thanks for any indepth support regarding these issues.

Rod Mynatt

Message was edited by: Rodney Mynatt             Found the way to attach the file, via Edit Message.

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rod

A few comments:

- SInce you have similar problems accross several models ( 7912, 7940, 7941 and 7942) which run very different firmware, it seems unlikely that this is a problem with the phones themselves.

- Can you post up your switch configuration, and router config if the CUCM is remote?

- Either way, if the phones take a voice VLAN IP, don't sweat it just yet. Since you say you see the phones taking a data VLAN IP,  I would ensure that Option 150 is properly configured (i.e. as an IP address, pointed at an active TFTP server) on BOTH VLANs. The phones may download the correct firmware and then land in the right VLAN on the newer software.

- Ensure the phones are correctly added to CUCM.

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Mr Harrison,

Thanks for your reply.

I could really use information about:

B1 - A compounded issue on a current 7941G phone involves loss of phone power or no demand anyway, as the phone shows no display.

and

A2 - Models 7941 ad 7961 do not allow Settings, Network Configuration access until a phone is registered, a catch-22 as the phone must be static configured for it to regisiter. Enabling the phone Setting Access is moot as that is only applicable after the phone registers. No found discussions on this frustrating delima.

Since the phone is now pulling the correct Voice IP I think it might register but it still needs to demand power to proceed with the normal registration process.

Why is the phone not demanding power and energizing the display?

Looking for way to attach the requested config files. Watch for second newer reply. Hope I can find it.

Thank you,

Rod Mynatt

Most likely the phone is trying to pull term31.default.loads and other FW files, but you haven't set a TFTP for that. As correcty indicated above already.

That is discussed very often and you can search for how to recover it.

By the way, I never found that you can't do setting unless registered, on any model. Did that many times.

Mr Bevilacqua,

So if I understand you, the Firmware Load has been erased (by the Hard Factory Reset?) and is trying to aquire another

term41.default.loads ?? So the one I see from the show cdp neighbor g0/3 detail of

Version :

79XX_default_load               is not good, and needs the specific term41.default.loads ?? Is this correct?

And importantly, are you saying that I can not expect to see a powered on display until this new/needed default load is

loaded into the phone? Why No Phone Display ?

Concerning the inability to get a reply from the Settings Button, it may be that the Setting Access was set to Disable

the last time it was configured/registered. The phone is old from another network.

Thank you,

Rod Mynatt

Yes.

All these question have been answered many times already, if you take the time to search the forum.

Found this Release Notes Cisco page for some indepth information regarding Phone Loads.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/prod_release_notes_list.html

Learned from a friend and confirmed here, that old phones with Old Firmware require step progression/s to upgrade to a

more current load.

My only clue of this situation is the 79XX_default_load file name found from the phone using show cdp neighbor detail.

Since the Settings Button is not allowing access for that view. Web to the phone IP is inhibited as well.

More understanding is needed here, but I think I am on a roll.

No rights to the CUCM OS Admin is another hinderance but I might get support there.

Hope this helps others who may have these experiences.

RM